Cats..what to do?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
Borrow my dog for a few days? She's hypoallergenc so MrsI would probably be fine and she would most decidedly patrol the back garden for felines!

[edit]Poppy would patrol, that is, not MrsI

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
You can buy lion poo from zoos, apparently. The cats sh!t thermselves when they smell it, which might defeat the purpose. I hate cats anyway, I'm allergic to them. They make my eyes and arms itch, and I sneeze like a sneezy thing from sneezeland.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Super soakers work really well. We've got 3 cats, but had a big semi wild Tom hanging around some years back. I chased it with the gun from one side of the garage, and as it appeared from the other, it got a good soaking. Never came back.

Also, mulch like bark or coco shells work very well. Oh and don't try carpet grippers on top of the fence, a neighbour tried this, only to see the cats shimmying along the top the avoiding the spikes.

Other option, more ground covering plants.

Night Train

Maker of Things
How about some reverse psychology?

Start feeding the cats, in the garden, and making them welcome. Make then much more welcome then they would be at home so that they spend more time in your garden then at home.

Eventually they will start lounging about in your garden, having adopted you, and move their toileting next door!
When the neighbours have given up on them ever coming home you can rehome them elsewhere.

pepecat

Cat repellant spray works quite well - i used it in our garden when the next door neighbours cat used my flower bed as a poop hole.
Now we have two cats, and a poop free garden.....

Citrus oil / peel also works quite well, as does peppermint oil, or something like oil of olbas. Cats hate the smell.

You could also cover your garden in tin foil.... cats hate walking on it. Or grow some holly bushes.

OP
OP
ianrauk

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Cat repellant spray works quite well - i used it in our garden when the next door neighbours cat used my flower bed as a poop hole.
Now we have two cats, and a poop free garden.....

Citrus oil / peel also works quite well, as does peppermint oil, or something like oil of olbas. Cats hate the smell.

You could also cover your garden in tin foil.... cats hate walking on it. Or grow some holly bushes.

Some one at work today mentioned Cat Repellent spray. Smells of garlic aparently which cats also hate.
Will ask Mrs Ian to get some today from Homebase to see if it works.

I like all the ideas of the soakers though. Unfortunately I am never around when the cats start trampling the flowerbeds.

Andrew_P

In between here and there

I would go with the sprinkler, on a controller, linked to an IR detector to give a 1 second burst.

I've got an unused one, somewhere in my garage, a bit like this, which you can borrow. Needs to be connected up to a hose, so technically might not be allowed if there's still a hose pipe ban! I'm up in London this weekend, so could drop it off if you like.

PS I've never used it on cats - it was bought to deal with humans!

MisterStan

Label Required
An old neighbour used to use old fizzy pop bottles filled with water - he just left them lying around the garden and apparently the cats didn't like them so stayed away.

Our cat's a real wimp, he will only go and 'sort' other cats out when we're there to 'back him up' (i.e. shout and throw water) then he walks around like he's got the biggest balls in the street. He hasn't as we had him speyed some years ago.

AnythingButVanilla

Über Member
I have a cat too and love the little smelly thing. But she never goes to the toilet in the litter tray in the house. She must always go outside or in a neighbours garden. How do you know it isnt my cat? She must get about if it is.

I wish my cat would go outside but she prefers to use her litter tray rather than the 50ft garden because she's a contrary little mare :rolleyes:

Top Bottom