Cavendish apparantly missed a dope test in 2011

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
This is why it is a three missed test rule not one or two. You have to allow for the odd mistake.

OP
OP
Y

yello

Indeed, that's why I said it was a nothing story. Arguably even irresponsible journalism. Needlessly linking the current world champion with a 'doping' story for the sake of a 'click', or magazine sale.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Indeed, that's why I said it was a nothing story. Arguably even irresponsible journalism. Needlessly linking the current world champion with a 'doping' story for the sake of a 'click', or magazine sale.

It's still true so it's difficult to condemn the reporting outright. The important thing is that it should be set in context. And it could be seen as more important in retrospect, say if Cav fails a test in future etc. (not that I think that will happen).

OP
OP
Y

yello

It maybe true. Not that I doubt (or care really, truth told) that it is.

Perhaps a better context would have been to report also how regular, or otherwise, it is for athletes to miss out of competition tests. I suspect were it other than a 'name' that the story would not have been reported.

Paul_L

Über Member
Cav's twitter feed suggests he missed it whilst recording a TV piece on Mount Etna for the BBC.

An honest admin slip up by the sound of it. Nothing to see here. Move on.

beastie

Guru
There is more to it than nothing, he is now 1/3 the way to a doping related offence. The point is that this info should have remained confidential. Cav is raging apparently.

OP
OP
Y

yello

There is more to it than nothing, he is now 1/3 the way to a doping related offence.

Yes, fair point. It'll perhaps make him more diligent in informing people of his whereabouts in future. Such mistakes can be costly.

Alun

Guru
Out of 60 tests, he missed one. I wonder how many can better that ratio? It should be set aside due to the correct protocol not being followed. :whistle:

Alun

Guru
There must be a time limit for the 3 missed tests, to get banned for missing 3 tests over say 10 years would seem a little harsh!

OP
OP
Y

yello

3 missed tests (or similar infringements) within 18 months leads to sanctioning. Have a read of the Baugé thread for a 'for instance'.

OP
OP
Y

yello

Ah, the 'most tested athlete on the planet' (copyright, patent pending, all licences applied for). ;)

How many tests did he miss then? That's actually the point, in a non flippant way. As a rule, we simply don't know when a test is missed. It doesn't become a public issue until the athlete has to appear before their federation.

Top Bottom