Cavendish fed up with HTC-Columbia

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Stange

On the BBC, here:
http://news.bbc.co.u...ing/9076903.stm

Trying for more money next year?
Really been 'mistreated'?
Wants to go to Sky?

I was really surprised reading that, I guess he's angling for something. Probably a contract re-negotiation. I don't want him to go to Sky. They haven't got their "train" out of the goods yard yet.

I've never understood why sports people have to bleat to national tv or press about not having a new offer when they are still under current contract fo another year.

Surely they should start negotiations with current management - preferably directly, not via an agent - and then make a personal decision.

OK, I know that they are not supposed to be contacted while still under contract so maybe this is their only way of spreading the word.

yello

Not quite sure "fed up" is quite right. He said "abused" and that's a different thing.

I think you have to understand Cavendish a little here. I get the impression he wants a great deal of re-assurance, needs to be loved. I also think he tends to have a very self-centred view of things, and often speaks before he's got a full picture. He's probably miffed that HTC aren't gushing over him, offering love and attention and great things for the rest of all time. When the truth is that they have every intention of offering another contract it's just that other things need to be done first to do that.

Besides, there are bigger things than him. For all we know, HTC are sorting out next year's sponsorship without which nobody will be offered a new contract!

Not quite sure "fed up" is quite right. He said "abused" and that's a different thing.

I think you have to understand Cavendish a little here. I get the impression he wants a great deal of re-assurance, needs to be loved. I also think he tends to have a very self-centred view of things, and often speaks before he's got a full picture. He's probably miffed that HTC aren't gushing over him, offering love and attention and great things for the rest of all time. When the truth is that they have every intention of offering another contract it's just that other things need to be done first to do that.

Besides, there are bigger things than him. For all we know, HTC are sorting out next year's sponsorship without which nobody will be offered a new contract!

If I remember correctly though, Cav is contracted until atleast next year, but I might of read that in a dream.

It's all contract smoke and mirrors, I very much doubt he will leave when he's got the train that he has, and I very much doubt HTC-Columbia will let him go with the speed and form that he has.

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant

Brilliant summary Yello old chap. It fits very well with the impression I gained through reading "Boy Racer". That said, my emark is intended to be positive. I think he has a fragile ego which needs constant massaging. There are many other examples of that in sports and if that's what makes 'em go, why not. Cav is a superb rider in the right circumstances and I have nowt but respect for him. As long as this is his way of attempting to turn the financial screw, then he deserves it.

Keith Oates

Janner
I think that at times Cav is guilty of 'engaging mouth before brain' and of course the media know this and prime him for some of his statements!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I think that at times Cav is guilty of 'engaging mouth before brain' and of course the media know this and prime him for some of his statements!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
quite. At least he didn't call his teammates 'working class and vulgar'

oldroadman

Veteran
I've never understood why sports people have to bleat to national tv or press about not having a new offer when they are still under current contract fo another year.

Surely they should start negotiations with current management - preferably directly, not via an agent - and then make a personal decision.

OK, I know that they are not supposed to be contacted while still under contract so maybe this is their only way of spreading the word.

No, no, no, riders are not financial negotiators, they used to DIY their contracts years ago and were paid peanuts, exploited, all sorts. Agents and legal support has got them paid what they are worth. Sad to say the reason for having an agent is that being a great rider does not go with great negotiating skills very often, as has been demonstrated again and again. Even at my lowly level all thos eyears ago, I managed to double the pay at a straight 15% commission, so result all round

Paul_L

Über Member
Don't think HTC could afford to lose Cav and Greipel!

personally i'd like him to stay where he is, as Sky certainly couldn't provide the strength at the front of a chase like HTC can.

Top Bottom