Cav's Sky top with World bands?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
posted by a current world champion in a similar thread on bikeradar…

To anyone who says a WC jersey is just another jersey and if you can buy it, you can wear it, etc - I say yes. Of course you can. Wear what you want and so on ad infinitum.
However, anyone with the slightest respect for the history and traditions of cycling wouldn't wear a WC jersey. It's just one of those things that really should be earned. This doesn't apply to other team kit, or other replica kit from other sports.
In the past I would (personally) never dream of wearing WC kit unless I had actually earned it.
And even now that I can legitimately wear it, I feel a little odd about wearing it. Because my jersey is the same as that of Tony Martin and hate people seeing me and thinking I'm just another guy who bought a WC jersey to wear out on club runs.
Once I get personalized kit with my own sponsor logos added, then I'll wear it with more pride.
As to the newbs on club runs wearing it - they probably don't know that some people don't like it. I recall earlier this year when I was leading the World Cup and had a special jersey, a new guy showed up to my club TT wearing the full World Cup leaders skinsuit. Obviously bought off eBay. I suppose I could have had a word to say it wasn't cool, but life is too short.
I don't see a problem politely telling a newb that some people might find it disrespectful to wear a WC on a club run. They can wear it the other 6 days of the week if they want.
The only thing I would get upset about is someone else wearing a WC jersey and pretending they won it! Same goes for anyone who wears national team kit. You know who you are....

subaqua

What’s the point
lifes too short. that sort of sums it up.

if you get soooo worked up about it then you really do need to get out on the bike a bit more often.

I had a pair of WC gloves as a teenager. just liked the pattern on em really, oh that and the soft leather palms

rich p

ridiculous old lush
lifes too short. that sort of sums it up.

if you get soooo worked up about it then you really do need to get out on the bike a bit more often.

I had a pair of WC gloves as a teenager. just liked the pattern on em really, oh that and the soft leather palms

Agreed. Get over it :rolleyes:

Adasta

I might have his wrong, but wasn't the original dissension based on wearing an "earned" jersey? I think things like the yellow/white/pink/polka dot jersey which imply you are the expert in one area?

Whether or not you give any credence to the notion of an "earned" jersey is another thing. For the record, I wear team jerseys in the same way I would wear a football shirt - it's "allegiance", not imitation.

Hip Priest

Veteran
Wearing team kit is like wearing a replica football top. Wearing a WC jersey is like buying a replica of the World Cup and waving it around at a 5-a-side kickabout.

Gingerbloke

I have one of the HTC rainbow banded shirts, will I wear it on a club run? no I won't, will I wear it under my waterproof during the winter? probably. Would I (if the chance arose) have Mr. Cavendish sign it and display it on a wall in the house framed? Definitely.....!!!!I think Mr. Hip Priest has summed it up perfectly...

I am Spartacus

Über Member
On a club run , you wear club kit
In a race , ditto
ffs whats the real gripe about wearing it on a bike at other times?
I ask again, if you see me wearing 1 in Tescos, are you really gonna come up to me and saying I am dissin the ethos of professional cycling?
Again, I havnt got 1 to wear, but I truly defend the right of anyone else to wear what they freakin want to wear.
Benny , you go ahead and buy it... at least you'll make Adidas happy and another dollar into the coffers of pro cycling in 1 shape or form.

Hip Priest

Veteran
Just to clarify: Whilst I myself wouldn't wear a yellow, pink, polka dot or rainbow jersey for the reasons given above, it's of my business what anyone else wears. I certainly wouldn't approach someone in Tesco and raise an issue with their jersey.

PeteT

I wear a bright yellow jersey in the summer - no logos or anything, just a plain Polaris short-sleeved jobbie. Why? a) 'Cos it's highly visible and b) more importantly, I got it for a song from the bargain bin at a LBS.

So - does this mean I contravene the "code" - or am I in the clear because it has no logos etc?

My theory is that it marks me out as a cheapskate, because local riders will know where I got it from... :smile:

Spot on, too many cycling snobs around. If you like it, wear it.

Too bloody right. Who cares what other people think! But c'mon - white socks with sandals!!! ;)

Attachments

• medium_fat20cyclist.jpg
    medium_fat20cyclist.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 59

lukesdad

I bought a job lot of CSC stuff a few years ago good quality gear. The shirts worked out about £25 each and the bibs £30 tights rain jacket and gilet similar. Club stuff cost me shirts £60 bibs over £80.

Im the only prat round here that wears the CSC My mates can spot me a mile off . I used it a couple of times on XC races got some funny looks but do you think I give a Gypsies ? Missus loved it she could spot me a mile off comming round each lap.

Top Bottom