CC 100 mile fixed gear club

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mikeee

Whereabouts are we riding?
Something along the lines of the Fred Whitton sportive in the Lakes has a certain appeal?

My experience with fixed riders is we don't use the "s" word much, if at all :smile:. The ride starts in Rutland. Contrary to a lot of opinion on CC there is no evidence that fixed riding is detrimental to your knees, I have found the opposite true and I do a lot of slow grinding [very slow].

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Contrary to a lot of opinion on CC there is no evidence that fixed riding is detrimental to your knees, I have found the opposite true and I do a lot of slow grinding [very slow].
I remember asking you about that. I was speaking to @just_fixed (formerly bromptonfb) on the same subject recently - he completely agrees with you, and said that he has seen research supporting it.

I can see how riding fixed makes muscles and connective tissue very strong, thus stabilising the knee, but I still can't quite see how the extra forces involved do not negatively impact on the cartilage.

I know my hips complain bitterly if I try to climb steep hills in high gears, which is why I have triples on all of my bikes. I can get up quite steep stuff on a 39 ring but my body doesn't thank me for it.

I don't want to get you fixed-fans excited, but if ever I go on holiday somewhere with quiet, flat roads, I might see if I can hire a suitable bike to give fixed riding a go, but I am not going to do it round here! Or Rutland ... :laugh:

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
No confusion necessary, nothing to do with me as such, I just happened to run the first one, but it's open to anyone, there can't be many on CC who have ridden over 100 miles on fixed and even less those who have done so with another CC member who is also on fixed, so which ever way you look at it I reckon it's a fairly exclusive little club to be in.
Must be....still not been added to the list.

Reactions: 4F
Updated list:
dr_pink
totallyfixed
4F
colly
dave r
jazzcat
just_fixed
Pennine-Paul

I remember asking you about that. I was speaking to @just_fixed (formerly bromptonfb) on the same subject recently - he completely agrees with you, and said that he has seen research supporting it.

I can see how riding fixed makes muscles and connective tissue very strong, thus stabilising the knee, but I still can't quite see how the extra forces involved do not negatively impact on the cartilage.

I know my hips complain bitterly if I try to climb steep hills in high gears, which is why I have triples on all of my bikes. I can get up quite steep stuff on a 39 ring but my body doesn't thank me for it.

I don't want to get you fixed-fans excited, but if ever I go on holiday somewhere with quiet, flat roads, I might see if I can hire a suitable bike to give fixed riding a go, but I am not going to do it round here! Or Rutland ... :laugh:
Indeed, I would add that we also only use zero float on our cleats, the last thing I need when spinning at 150 rpm upwards is for my knees to be moving laterally which any others with float would allow, of course it is equally important to ensure the celts are positioned correctly for you. I first noticed this many years ago when a girl friend who I had sourced a bike for was getting knee pain, she was riding hard but on flats and I observed that her feet were moving around on the pedal and deduced this might be the problem. Once clipped in problem solved.

D

Deleted member 1258

I've always rode fixed on clips and straps, I've not had any problems with my knees, and I'm in my sixties now, knees are great, now if I could just sort my back out everything would be rosy.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
I've always rode fixed on clips and straps, I've not had any problems with my knees, and I'm in my sixties now, knees are great, now if I could just sort my back out everything would be rosy.
I've just built a new winter fixed and decided to go back to clips and straps. I just can't get on with clipless no matter how expensive and good the winter boots are.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
Updated list:
dr_pink
totallyfixed
4F
colly
dave r
jazzcat
just_fixed
Pennine-Paul

Indeed, I would add that we also only use zero float on our cleats, the last thing I need when spinning at 150 rpm upwards is for my knees to be moving laterally which any others with float would allow, of course it is equally important to ensure the celts are positioned correctly for you. I first noticed this many years ago when a girl friend who I had sourced a bike for was getting knee pain, she was riding hard but on flats and I observed that her feet were moving around on the pedal and deduced this might be the problem. Once clipped in problem solved.
Hmm maybe that's why I don't get on with clips less....wrong cleats. I've got SPD's on my Langster and I do feel like their wobbling around on the pedal. On all my SPD's I've had over the years I've always felt the cleat plate inside the shoe. Not painful just annoying.

Quoc Phams on MKS with double straps are my favourite fixed set up. I only use SPD's in winter as I can never get clips big enough for my size 13 winter boots.

D

Deleted member 1258

I've just built a new winter fixed and decided to go back to clips and straps. I just can't get on with clipless no matter how expensive and good the winter boots are.

For the last four years I've had clipless on the geared bike, Time Freerides,
http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Time-Z-Free...ls_15627.htm?gclid=CLa79uGWxMMCFUWWtAodhHMA1A
even after four years I still prefer clips and straps and I've not seen the extra performance from the clipless that people keep talking about.

U

User19783

Updated list:
dr_pink
totallyfixed
4F
colly
dave r
jazzcat
just_fixed
Pennine-Paul

Have you got a date yet? And a start time?
Still interested.

jazzkat

Fixed wheel fanatic.
I am looking to run another 100 mile fixed ride, already have a route in mind, even a title - King Richard 3rd and back. At this point in time looking at late April-ish. I will post it up in "Informal Rides" in due course.
Right, who's interested?
Count me in TF, I really enjoyed the last one.

Whereabouts are we riding?
Something along the lines of the Fred Whitton sportive in the Lakes has a certain appeal?
I've considered planning a 100 mile fixed up here, but it's tricky to get a decent mileage without having silly climbs on the route. The big passes would be stupid on fixed, the descents are bad enough when you've got a free wheel and you can take a lot of weight (and balance) on your pedals. I don't fancy walking a lot of the 100 miles!:wacko:
I might have to do a bit of planning, maybe one for the autumn.

Have you got a date yet? And a start time?
Still interested.
Not as yet, just tossing the idea around to gauge interest. I have run enough CC rides to know by now that if 20 people say they want to ride, on the day if 8 turn up that is fairly normal. There're quite a few of us on CC that have ridden together before, some of us several times, when these folk express an interest I can be fairly sure they will turn up. If only there were more of the fairer sex, but sad to say fixed female riders are few and far between.

Top Bottom