CC Ecosse (West) ride - Sat 19th Jan

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 20519

While there's lots of people from Glasgow here, would someone be up for accompanying me on a ride out to Decathlon tomorrow to have the bike fixed? http://goo.gl/maps/mLGZG

OP
OP
Rasmus

Rasmus

Without a clever title
OK. I have some errands in the city centre, but could use a couple of things from Decathlon as well. I need to be home by 130 pm. We can meet in the city centre, or in the east end - whichever suits the route you take.

D

Deleted member 20519

OK. I have some errands in the city centre, but could use a couple of things from Decathlon as well. I need to be home by 130 pm. We can meet in the city centre, or in the east end - whichever suits the route you take.

I've never been out there on my bike, only been in car along the M8. Do you know the best way to go? I'd prefer meeting in the City Center, that's the only place in Glasgow that I know :blush:

OP
OP
Rasmus

Rasmus

Without a clever title
No problem. Meet near the taxi rank on the west side of Queen St station (Dundas St) at 12 (or earlier if you can make it)? It's very simple navigation out to Decathlon on Duke St->Carntyne Rd.

D

Deleted member 20519

No problem. Meet near the taxi rank on the west side of Queen St station (Dundas St) at 12 (or earlier if you can make it)? It's very simple navigation out to Decathlon on Duke St->Carntyne Rd.

Sounds good to me. I'll just come along Paisley Road West into Glasgow. I would have been able to come earlier but the Decathlon person told me that the bike repair shop won't open until 12 tomorrow.

I might be able to make this too (depending on how my legs/head feel after the ceilidh I'm attending on the 18th) :cheers:

As my folks live in Dumbarton, I might do the Glasgow to Loch Lomond leg then double back to the Rock from there if that's ok... Also I've not ridden that kind of distance yet (just started commuting last October) and I'm not sure if my legs would get me up the climb on the way back! (University Avenue is my idea of a hill at the moment!) ^_^

OP
OP
Rasmus

Rasmus

Without a clever title
I might be able to make this too (depending on how my legs/head feel after the ceilidh I'm attending on the 18th) :cheers:

As my folks live in Dumbarton, I might do the Glasgow to Loch Lomond leg then double back to the Rock from there if that's ok... Also I've not ridden that kind of distance yet (just started commuting last October) and I'm not sure if my legs would get me up the climb on the way back! (University Avenue is my idea of a hill at the moment!) ^_^

Everyone is welcome for any subset of the distance, so fear not!

I don't think any bit of the route is much steeper than Uni Ave, just a bit longer is all ^_^.

Btw, if you're commuting this way, you pass right by my office every day :hello:

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman

You will be fine!
Done it for the first time last summer, never did more than 20 miles at a stretch before, on a heavy bike to boot.
Must have been the vision of MDB disappearing into the distance that helped me up the hill back from Luss :laugh:

Seamab

I've made a bit of an arse of the route through Pollok (mainly the roundabout Braidcroft - Barrhead - Brockburn road ....this can get very busy and i would normally avoid it if i could) but this is the general direction. If you were going to go by Whitelee windfarm (which i havent mapped out) then i'd recommend taking the turn off just before getting you go into Eaglesham...Kirkton moor road i think it is called. It is a quiet singletrack road and goes past a golf club, nice views over Glasgow then brings you out near Newton Mearns.

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/2054783

Looking at it the route there is a bit more urban cycling than i thought there would be leaving from Pollok park - about a third is urban. The A77 from Newton Mearns onwards has a cycle lane and is mostly downhill so it isn't that unpleasant but at the same time it is not as good for a social cycle ride as a nice quiet country road.

Thanks Zizou. Maybe too many busy roads.
After a bit of investigation it seems that from Pollok Park there is a quieter alternative. Leaving Pollok Park toward Paisley on the NCN once under the M77 on Damshot Rd. there is a signed cycle route(apparently) south to Silverburn shopping centre then onwards using the Brock Burn path which will take you to Darnley and onto Corselet Rd from which you can enter the "Dams to Darnley" country park at Waukmill Glen. Presumably from there you can exit to Newton Mearns and onto the A77 cycle lane.

Might be useful for a future ride.

glasgowjim

Über Member
I really must make an attempt to get to one of these rides sometime, or even better still, now that I've got a few miles under my belt i should be organising one as i know loads of great routes in and around Glasgow.

OP
OP
Rasmus

Rasmus

Without a clever title
I really must make an attempt to get to one of these rides sometime, or even better still, now that I've got a few miles under my belt i should be organising one as i know loads of great routes in and around Glasgow.
Why not do both?:thumbsup:

Top Bottom