CC Members Map - Get yourself listed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Shaun

Founder
If you want to appear on the CC Members Map, just PM Panter with your forum name and town or first part of postcode.

(Note: This is something Panter does in his spare time, so please give him a few days to add your details as he may be busy!)

Cheers,
Shaun :wacko:

TechMech

Not wanting to cast a dark cloud over this idea, but is this not a thieves goldmine?

As the forum is open to all, you could simply follow the link to the interactive map and look up whoever is closest to you, and then search the forum for "Here's my new £2000 bike" threads (etc) and bob is your sister's brother, your straight in to the exact street they live in. Nip round and nick it.

Am I just being silly, or does anyone else think that this is a risk?

yenrod

TechMech said:
Not wanting to cast a dark cloud over this idea, but is this not a thieves goldmine?

As the forum is open to all, you could simply follow the link to the interactive map and look up whoever is closest to you, and then search the forum for "Here's my new £2000 bike" threads (etc) and bob is your sister's brother, your straight in to the exact street they live in. Nip round and nick it.

No its not Tech, get real !

Give me your address so I can visit, get real - mate, the deal is you put your town or such like...what breakfast cereal do you eat !

As if you'd put your address ! :smile:

<Calculates distance from TechMech and checks previous posts to see what bikes he's got>

No I don't think so.

OP
OP
Shaun

Shaun

Founder
I'd not thought about it that way.

If people just put a town name, or first part of their post code then the location tag should be general enough for it not to be a problem.

If anyone is concerned though, then perhaps it's best not to put yourself on the map.

Cheers,
Shaun :biggrin:

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
TechMech said:

Many of the people on here have perfectly ordinarily priced bikes. You could go round my town with a pair of bolt croppers and pick up more valuable bikes any day of the week. In anycase quite a few of the people on the map aren't exact. I think the issue would be people with very high value bikes living in very small villages.

Panter

Just call me Chris...
I did worry a bit about this to start with. In fact, I pm'd a few people back to explain that I was going to put the placemark a little way away from their exact location, but never got any replies.
Because of this, and with the huge amount of new entries (I get more in a day than I did in a Month previously) and the time it takes, then the placemark will generally be added exactly where you put your postcode.

So, if you're worried, please only supply the first half.

It does vary a bit, the details people supply. So far, the vaguest location is "M25" and the most detailed inclded instructions included a few lines on how to pinpoint the exact house :biggrin:

While I'm waffling, I used to pm people back when I added them (seems only polite) but due to the number now, and having to wait 60secs before sending each pm, I no longer do that.
If you do spot any mistakes in your entry, please just pm me and I'll edit it.

Wigsie

Nincompoop
My bike sits next to my desk at work and next to my shotgun cabinet at home... welcome to come have a go if you want? ;)

TechMech

yenrod said:
No its not Tech, get real !

Give me your address so I can visit, get real - mate, the deal is you put your town or such like...what breakfast cereal do you eat !

As if you'd put your address ! :biggrin:

True, but it didn't take me 30 secs to google your username, which gave me your real name, which i then put into 192.com along with Merseyside and for a few pennies it would have given me your exact address (as the map only shows the street you live in).

So I guess the map is not that big a risk after all, in fact you wouldn't even need it to find out someones address.

BTW FYI seeing as you asked, it's usually Bran Flakes or Shreddies, but I'm on the Crunchy Nut Cornflakes at the moment!

TechMech said:

I wouldn't worry Tech; I've just gave the first half of the post code, so its not a precise location; I'm pretty sure thats what other folk do. If I recall right Tete icon shows that he lives on the Forth Road Bridge; I'm pretty sure he doesn't, its just somewhere near there.

Oh, Oh! Speicher is checking out where we all live... her plan for CycleChat domination has been hatched and is underway.

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED! :sun::smile:;):biggrin:

Top Bottom