Central Heating - on yet?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

byegad

Legendary Member
Ours is 'on' all year, upstairs is set at 15℃ for most of the day warming to 20 at 07.15 for an hour and at 21 from 21.00 to 22.15. Downstairs is 15 overnight going to 21.5 at 07.30 and then 23 from 16.00, it turns back to 15 at 22.00.
It comes on if and when the sensors, up and down stairs detect it's colder than those temperatures, so over the 'summer' is mostly off, the house is well insulated, faces South and often keeps us warm for free. As my monthly gas bill is comfortably under £30 and with global warming now kicking in, our next move is to fit aircon to one of the downstairs rooms. All the above temperatures are at the thermostat and real temperatures in the house are usually more than 15℃ and less than the other stated thermostat values. I have arthritis and can't sit comfortably at less than 20℃ without seizing up.

gbb

Legendary Member
Central heating on yet ? Good God no....in general.
Grandkids visit, it may well go on but otherwise, too early. The house sits at around 16 degrees without any heating on, that's ok for us.

Drago

Legendary Member
Yes, but only because the tuble drier has fallen off its perch and were awaiting a new one to be delivered. We're drying clothes next to radiators, which is horrible, but only a few more days to go.

johnblack

Über Member
About 30p a litre down our way (for a 1000 litre delivery). It was below 20 earlier in the year.
My supplier was calling me during the late spring, desperate to sell me some, I think they were at full capacity and as the weather was so good no-one was using the stuff, wish I had a bigger tank or a second one.

keithmac

Guru
Ours is timed to come on in mornings and evenings (16c) hasn't been on much.

Just recently had boiler serviced ready for Winter though.

Changed from EDF to Octopus for gas and electricity recently, was expecting a big final bill but ended up with £11 back which was nice!.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Put mine on for the first time yesterday evening. Just a tickle to remove the feeling of damp.

I'd have turned it on if we had some. The house had been (badly) rewired when we bought it. There are 12 electric heaters which we've never turned on. The ex husband of the previous owner told me in the winter most of his wages went on electricity. It rather put me off using it.:stop:
I'd install central heating if the construction of the house allowed concealed pipework. I hate pipes on show.
Some years ago the government took away our winter fuel allowance as it was warm where we live.
Warm! Minus 10 some days in the winter!

Jody

Stubborn git
We've probably had the fire on for a month or so now. Being solid fuel we don't have the option to have it on for an hour or two. It comes in really handy for drying the washing or if you like living in sub tropical temperatures. It also means I can turn the immersion off as the fire will heat our stored water.

gbb

Legendary Member
Slight frost out this morning, bedroom windows open as usual but the house is sitting at 14c...a bit too chilly even for us. Given the heating a quick blast to get to 16 or 17, that'll do. Socks on in the meantime.

Top Bottom