Central Heating - on yet?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
We had it on for a good while this morning because it's working so nicely! plumber came round yesterday to replace heat exchanger and expansion vessel- should have been straightforward but it turned out the boiler had been installed too close to the ceiling and he had to remove the entire thing to do it- took more work than installing a new one.

postman

Legendary Member
Last year i think or was it the year before.We had our system flushed out.The pump on a newish Vailiant boiler was making buzzing noises.Anyway the Vailiant people sent round one of their chaps,he replaced the pump and asked us to consider a power flush.So we got our bloke in,it took him two visits over the week,and boy what a difference.Anyway yes the heating has been going on these past few weeks.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
MrsP gets cold, even in the summer. Heating has been on for a few weeks now.:rolleyes:
Our son who lives in an upstairs maisonette has very low heating bills, because the people downstairs have the heating blasting away so keeping his place warm. So warm that he often has to have his windows and back door open to cool down.

AndreaJ

Veteran
I have discovered that the most effective way of persuading a 17 year old daughter not to spend hours in the bathroom is turning the central heating off, much easier and quicker than shouting up the stairs😊

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Our son who lives in an upstairs maisonette has very low heating bills, because the people downstairs have the heating blasting away so keeping his place warm. So warm that he often has to have his windows and back door open to cool down.
I've got the opposite after moving from a mid-terrace house to an end-terrace one. Having 50% more outside wall area definitely makes for a much colder house, all other things being equal!

My CH is still out of commission but a couple of gas engineers are coming to give quotes over the next few days. I'm hoping that my combi-boiler has a simple fault that can be repaired rather than a replacement boiler being needed.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
My gas averages about £40 a mnth for heat and hob, so I'm not worried about it being on and it keeps the house at a steady temperature so it's not working hard - the rads are slightly warm to touch. No, leccy bill, thats another matter... :ohmy:

No but the wood burner has been on constantly for 3 weeks. Boiler in attic so if temperature drops below 5 degrees in the boiler, it sends the water round the system once. Not noticed it doing so. Although it could be in the night. I am getting close to 3 years worth of firewood so begrudge turning it on. Makes me cry.
A cold shower helps, you don't feel it in the unheated rooms if you have a long cold shower, in fact you don't feel anything!

Last edited:

Cletus Van Damme

Previously known as Cheesney Hawks
Yes its been on, but not much at all. Having a fairly new Persimmon home, despite all the negatives you read about them, and its not perfect. But it is so efficient and so cheap to heat. Prior to this I lived in the middle of nowhere in a house built in 1820, my nearest neighbour was quarter of a mile away, so there was no need to have the requisite Panzer wagon on the drive to impress. I loved it apart from winter, it was freezing and so expensive to heat with oil central heating and a log burner. I'd go back tomorrow though, I feel like I'm living in a sterile toy town here, despite being nice and warm...

Last edited:

MntnMan62

Über Member
Regardless of what the outside temperature is, we put on the heat if the temps inside the house get down to about 66 or 67F. Especially if it's raining outside. That tends to make the cold even more chiling. Also, I like to use the heat to dry out the house a bit for those chilly rainy days. I can't remember what date it was when we first put on the heat this year. I think it was just before Halloween. About a month ago.

gbb

Legendary Member
14c this morning inside the house (below 60f), windows open all night. Heating on ?...no, just close the windows and get dressed . Thermostat is set at frost setting.
Even the dog has took himself upstairs to lay on a patch of floor that always seems warm. :laugh:
It may be how, or where we were brought up. Cold, metal window framed, poorly insulated RAF houses in the countryside, frost on the INSIDE of the windows in the mornings as a child....brrrrr, but it probably hardens you up.

Last edited:

gbb

Legendary Member
14c this morning inside the house (below 60f), windows open all night. Heating on ?...no, just close the windows and get dressed . Thermostat is set at frost setting.
Even the dog has took himself upstairs to lay on a patch of floor that always seems warm. :laugh:
It may be how, or where we were brought up. Cold, metal window framed, poorly insulated RAF houses in the countryside, frost on the INSIDE of the windows in the mornings as a child....brrrrr, but it probably hardens you up.
And its risen to 17 c through the day without any CH input, positively balmy :becool:

gbb

Legendary Member
I have realised, I can cope with the house at 14 degrees C, not enjoy it but cope.
We have come in from work and the house is sitting at 13....its too cold. Given the heating an hours boost to 18 then it'll go off again, cant stand a warm / hot bedroom, cant sleep if its above say 16.

Top Bottom