Central Heating - on yet?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
That's 23C in new money, that's just a shocking waste of energy and resources. Our heating won't come on until temp has dropped below 18C (64f) and even then it's only first thing so you can get dressed into something suitable, perhaps you should try long sleeves and long trousers...
If you think i'm bad, those across the road in the sheltered housing building get unlimited heating for a fiver a week and boy do they take advantage of that! Some have their windows open all year round with the central heating cranked up to maximum,even when it's -5 Celsius!:thumbsdown: They should be billed for how much they use. That'll stop their antics!

The sheltered housing building always makes me think of those thermal imaging pics!

1627733694615.png

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
Oh aye,jumping up and down at 3.18 am. That'll go down well with face ache below me!:rolleyes:
Get into bed then in the middle of the night if cold :wacko: get a heavier duvet or a blanket maybe :scratch:

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Apart from maybe 3 whole weeks the CH has been on every evening this year from Jan to April and from May for an hour or so in the evening just to take the chill off.

The open fire in the lounge has also been used every evening apart from the same 3 weeks or so.

Tonight (weekly party night) it will be lit around 7pm and will then be fed until around 4 am and then be allowed to burn down when we get off to sleep around 6am.

Gets cold of a night where we live.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Must be grim up north if @Accy cyclist is feeling the cold.
Just put it on again. It's down to a mere 71.4 Fahrenheit in my kitchen....as i post!!.:cold:

Last edited:

Saluki

World class procrastinator
My heating will go on in November. 18 degrees absolute tops. I am a bit frugal, apparently.
Just me, no children or elderly in my home. Dogs will go beneath their duvets if cold.
My aunt has her heating on year round. Her son, aged 57, feels the cold. Financially, she feels the pinch.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
A bit surprised to hear the boiler kick in on Friday morning and this morning. Then I realised the thermostat is almost a direct line with the back door which I left open while getting the milk in.

Thermostat has now been turned down!!

For years I considered CH as a luxury and would always resort to layering when it starts getting nippy. Bit of financial prudence, bit of discipline. And to some extent being smug about not turning it on. No issues with spending the income on holiday, cars, bikes, restaurants. etc.

In late life, I realised that it is not a luxury but a necessity. It meant cutting down on expenses elsewhere and creating a budget to enjoy a decently warm house. Not year around but in the colder months. Sometimes we get our priorities wrong.

I am glad that Govt provides heating grants for someone and it will be great if they provided grants on means tested homes. No one sure go thru winters suffering.

Top Bottom