Central Scotland May Ride

Route preference

• Falkirk 1 (36.6km)

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Falkrik 2 (42km and a bit more challenging)

• Trossachs (60km no big climbs)

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OK! A quick search through the thread suggests that the ride is from Dunblane and should probably set off at about 11am (to allow folk to get the train there). It was the previous ride that we had arranged to meet at Tesco, but it just so happens that there is a Tesco right next to Dunblane station, so I suggest that this is probably a good place to meet.

So:

Dunblane
Tesco next to station
11am

So who is coming?

ACS

Legendary Member
Me, on my nice new Tricross, this is a cross county ride is it not? ;) :smile:

satans budgie said:
Me, on my nice new Tricross, this is a cross county ride is it not? ;) :smile:

New bike? Good stuff! :ohmy:

I am a little concerned that there is supposed to be a little rough terrain in this ride. I've got to take care of go-faster (TM).

satans budgie said:
Its more a safe and steady plodder and less frisky than your go-faster filly.

Ah, but it's a good bike. It was one of the bikes I had considered early on, until I decided to blow the budget! ;):smile:

TechMech

I'll be there guys!

I've been doing some serious training for this, and should have covered somewhere between 250 to 300 miles since we last met at Linlithgow. I did Perth to Crieff and back last weekend as it was a similar mileage (35 miles, but quite flat tbh) and gave me an excuse to suprise my Mum and Dad when I turned up at thier door on my Boardman :thumbsup: :bicycle:

Also the bike's been on a diet since last time (approx 1kg lighter), and i've lost another couple of pounds too :hyper:

Hopefully i'll be able to keep up with you speed demons this time, and won't be the puffing billy at the back :eek:

cannondale boy

Über Member
Would the terrain be suitable for road bike tyres? I've got my racer, or my new commuter a specialized sirrus elite which has better tread than the r700.

The sirrus is also more comfortable having the carbon seatstays and fork...so going over potholes is not as painful as it was with my old commuter, but that all depends on how big the pot hole is!

Looking at the train timetable and i would have to catch the first train at 0830 :biggrin: get into edinburgh at 0900, wait about an hour to catch the train to dunblane. Or i could cycle 20+ miles but prefer not to.

scook94

Veteran
I think HLaB did it on road tryes. Once you're off the road the surface is mostly okay-ish, hard packed dirt but there are a few places where the dirt turns to rocks and stones. I was certainly glad of my knobblies...

cannondale boy said:
Would the terrain be suitable for road bike tyres? I've got my racer, or my new commuter a specialized sirrus elite which has better tread than the r700.

The sirrus is also more comfortable having the carbon seatstays and fork...so going over potholes is not as painful as it was with my old commuter, but that all depends on how big the pot hole is!

Looking at the train timetable and i would have to catch the first train at 0830 :biggrin: get into edinburgh at 0900, wait about an hour to catch the train to dunblane. Or i could cycle 20+ miles but prefer not to.
I done it earlier this year on my converted sirrus with narrower tyres (25mm). The short section (1.5miles I think) at bottom of Loch Venachar being off road is a little awkward but passable, fortunately it was dry when I done it. The rest is on road and roadbike friendly.

OP
OP
HJ

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
cannondale boy said:

I have done it on 700x25 Conti GatorSkins...

cannondale boy

Über Member
Thanks for the info HLaB. I guess it will depend on the day what bike i will be taking. If it rains the sirrus, if its glorious sunshine which i have my doubts it will be my racer! Looking forward to the ride. :biggrin:

Top Bottom