Central Scotland May Ride

Route preference

• Falkirk 1 (36.6km)

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Falkrik 2 (42km and a bit more challenging)

• Trossachs (60km no big climbs)

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Noodley

scoosh said:
Swine or man flu ? :smile:

According to the doc it's a viral illness and I have been told to rest. I mentioned cycling 60 miles on Sunday and he looked at me very strangely and asked whether that would fall under the term "rest"....:rolleyes::angry:

Looks like I'll not be there guys :biggrin:

Mind you the way I feel just now I think he's right....

A bummer. ;)

Maybe a wee hot toddy will sort you out? If one doesn't work I find the magic number is 6.:biggrin:

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Mortified, Noodley :ohmy: :biggrin:

However, to look on the :sun: side - more time for your nethers to recover fully :biggrin:

At least you should be OK for the Kirriemuir w-e :thumbsup:

lazyfatgit

How is everyone getting there?

Is anyone from lanarkshire driving with space for another?

I've been looking at Scotrail and they are showing a bus from Falkirk High to Dunblane.

despite not being on the bike in 3 weeks, gaining almost a stone on holiday and having a sore calf muscle, i'm still keen to meet up. Unfortunately it seems public transport may be my downfall.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Lifts from Edinburgh

lazyfatgit said:
How is everyone getting there?

Is anyone from lanarkshire driving with space for another?
Personally, I'm driving from Embra to Dunblane ....

... and I have room for 2 bikes (with their riders, if you insist :biggrin:)

PM me if interested.

Jim_Noir

I'd love to do this, but this weekend I am off drinking... plus I think I'll wait till I have a new bike rather than the old MTB I am using the now :biggrin:

eldudino

Bike Fluffer
Further to lazyfatgit's check of train route, a mate of mine tried to get up to Stirling from Glasgow Queen St last Sunday with his bike and had the same problem. He asked the likelihood of getting his bike on the bus and was met with the immortal "No danger, pal!" so beware if travelling by train from the Weeg.

I've just had a quick check (Scotrail web site)and it seems that I can get a train from Queen st to Polmont a 9:30am and then a train from Polmont to Dunblane at 10:05.

No mention of buses. Am I looking in the wrong place?

If I have to, I could take the car, but I'd rather leave it at home so I can have a beer! :laugh:

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
2 only 1 place from Embra/Falkirk to Dunblane taken xx(, as LFG has been granted the use of 2 more wheels to get him to Dunblane.

There is therefore 1 space still available from Embra (or someplace along the route) to Dunblane

PM me if interested

Now who wants a lift back ???

I assume I'll be taking HLaB - unless he's off for his tea in Dumf again :laugh:

So it's all go for tomorrow. It looks like :bravo:! :becool: So the only weather protection we'll need is sunscreen!

I'm planning on training it from Glasgow (Trainline and Scotrail seem to suggest it is ok.)

Looking forward to meeting you guys tomorrow!

11am Dunblane Tesco. See you there!:smile:

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
Yep - have a good one, guys & gals.

I'll soon be heading off to even higher temps than you'll be facing tomorrow. Make sure HlaB takes his sunglasses off when he's checking his Garmin though.... ;-)

Wow! That was a very :sun:ride! Thanks, to everyone who came along and made it a very enjoyable day. I think we will be starting a 'Lobster Picture' thread as a result!:laugh:

There were many highlights to the day:

Tech Mech's reluctance to accept a free parking space, Boyjim's very VERY VERY close encounter with an oncoming car :smile:, HLab's legendary Garmin tracking skills 'hmmm, that really looks like a black run mountain bike trail doesn't it...', Hairy Jock's course plotting skills 'you'll be ok on this path, as long as you have gatorskins....', Cannondale Boy realising that public toilets outside Dunfermline are actually quite pleasant, the groups attempts to recruit young female waitresses to Cycle Chat, the wonderful scenery, etc...

The adventure didn't end with the end of the ride of course. Boyjim and myself upon getting on a train for Polmont to get a connection to Glasgow, were seriously misinformed by a Scot Rail employee. 'Get off at Larbet' we were told. You'll get home quicker. Aye right. After much investigation we realised that we would have to cycle on to Falkirk High (which was up a hill!) to get home before the earth froze over. We gained an extra hilly 3.5 miles!

I get to Glasgow and wait for a train to Anniesland, only to discover that power lines were down and my homecoming would be further delayed! :smile: Got home about 7:30pm. Would have been quicker cycling!

Anyway, thanks again guys for a great day out. I'm already looking forward to the next ride!:smile:

This is the GPS record of our ride today :smile:

Thanks to Scoosh my ride home was pretty uneventful, he let me off at the Forth Bridge (and no I didn't jump :laugh:) saving me 10 miles or so, so I only faced a 6.7mile ride to Dunfermline. The back road to Dunfermline is hardish but in that heat it was very hard. I did't come home til about 8:30 and fortunately it was a lot cooler then and the 15.7miles (17.8mph) seemed a lot easier even into the eastardly.

Top Bottom