Central Scotland May Ride

Route preference

• Falkirk 1 (36.6km)

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Falkrik 2 (42km and a bit more challenging)

• Trossachs (60km no big climbs)

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
I think we need to ensure that, wherever the next ride takes us, it is still as 'beginner friedly' (sic :angry:) as the earlier rides. My understanding is that they are social rides, to meet each other and chat bike things. Those who have not been out with us before and who might be considering it, could be put off by the talk of doing the Duke's Pass, Crow Road, Tak ma Doon (and back up again) before lunch ! :ohmy: We should remain all-encompassing, so keep the routes suitable for beginners - and those who wish more of a challenge can either ride to the start, get off the train earlier, ride home afterwards or whatever.

I have always greatly appreciated HLaB's attendance at our rides. He is way fitter than I am, doesn't 'need' to come out with us Beginners, yet is always there, (always taking us in the wrong direction :biggrin:) and always setting a reasonable pace. He then rides off into the sunset to get his exercise .....

So my contribution is that the next CC Scotland Forum ride should be one classified as 'Easy' or possibly 'Moderate' - but no more. The last couple have been excellent - thanks to HJ :smile:

Of course, there is no reason why we can't have more local midweek/Sat am rides in, say Embra, Lanark, Perth etc for the local groups - if someone wants to arrange locally, that is.

June is getting busy too .......

Aye, fair enough. I just wondered if some, especially those trying to improve their fitness would like a bit of a challenge. It might be easier to face a big hill for the first time with some moral support and encouragement. I certainly could have done with it the first time I attempted Crow Road. It certainly was a bit of a shock! Even the sheep, stood in the middle of the road in front of me laughing!:smile::angry:

June is definitely not a possibility for me, it would have to be July.

ACS

Legendary Member
Not sure if this would work but I will suggest it anyway. The CTC in Fife run Rendezvous Rides this where everyone makes their own to a meeting place for refreshments. I appreciate that this may not work for all due to the distances involved but I think it may work for some. No pressure on anyone to keep up with others as riders set their own pace and route and the chance of company for some of the return leg is a bonus.

MrRidley

I would certainly be up for the challenge of a hill or two mainly to help me with my ongoing battle of the bulge (although it seems to be winning just now) but as scoosh suggests maybe some weekend local shortish rides would be a good idea, if we are going to arrange another cc ride how about the 1st or 2nd weekend in july ? i'm not to good with routes or directions so maybe we could leave that up to HLAB as he seems to have a knack with this sort of thing :becool:

scook94

Veteran
I don't mind a bit of a challenge (as long as you don't laugh if I have to get off and walk or have a coronary half way up a hill!).

I'm okay for any weekend in July apart from 11th/12th. (I think)

ACS

Legendary Member
Never encountered a hill I cannot walk up as some will testify.

I'm with Scoosh on this one, not because of the hills as they are a simple fact of cycling life in Scotland, I just don't want the run to become another competitive pi$$ing contest.

I can go down to Tesco’s any Saturday morning and join the local club run if I feel like being spat out of the back of the group by the first crossroads and ignored because my shoes are not made of carbon.

As far as I am concerned the man at the front should finish at roughly the same time as the man at the back. If we ignore this ethos we are ignoring the very people who want our collective help and encouragement.

And it is not sour grapes at being the current Lanterne Rouge because that does not concern me in the least the more people we get out the better and this should always be the focus of our attention.

<steps off soapbox>

Guys,

I can assure you that if we did a hill, we would all still finish at the same time (ish).

I'm quite happy doing my own training runs at speed (aye right!), and if anyone wants to join me on those that is great. However, I'm more than happy to go at the slowest persons pace in the CC rides. I do the CC rides for a different reason than my training rides. I just wondered if on occasion it would be worth challenging the newer riders with the odd hill, in company that would be entirely encouraging.

The first time I took on Crow Road I think I probably stopped about 4 or 5 times until I reached the top. The last time I did it I still stopped once, although I think I could probably squeeze it out without stopping now. I certainly know how much of a challenge the big hills can be, and having others there who could encourage and pass on tips might be invaluable. It's also a great feeling when you reach the top!:thumbsup:

Anyway, I'm happy to go with the flow, depending on availability of course!:biggrin:

eldudino

Bike Fluffer
I didn't mean to suggest we should be hilling-it-up at every available opportunity. I'm very much a slow, unfit amateur on a heavy hybrid so if there are any hills to be got up, expect me to be at the back going granny-gear on its ass! I'm more than happy with a more sedate route, plus I've never been out for a ride in a group so again I'm also an amateur in that respect.

Do we have any viable suggestions for dates/routes yet? An availability calendar and vote system for routes similar to the start of this thread would be good; nice and democratic.

TechMech

Folks lets not stress about the next route :sad:

Yes the Linlithgow route was mental, but what doesn't kill us makes us stronger right :biggrin:

The last route through the Trossachs was excellent for scenery and flat enough for everyone to keep pace and chat. The heat was a killer though, and it was the longest ride I've ever done to date in a single day. I really enjoyed this route and plan to do it again some time this year.

Hills don't bother me really (although I reserve the right to winge about them at break stops :biggrin:), when I go out on my own I just pick a route and cycle it, and if there's a whacking great hill in my path then i'll go up it. It might take me twice or three times as long to reach the top as a fit guy, but it'll be job done at the top. And then there's the downhill.........wheeeeeeee!!!

At the end of the day no one gets left behind (I can personally vouch for that) and HJ and Scoosh seem happy to be the encouragement for the tail end charlies.

I say lets pick three routes as we did before and have a vote on them. Eldudino's route here looks good, and HJ's previous route Falkirk2 from the poll looks good too.

I'm available just about any weekend, so I'll wait and see what the majority go for date wise.

eldudino

Bike Fluffer
scook94 said:
I've been eyeing the Carron Valley route for a while, except I'd continue alongside the Carron Valley Reservoir and turn left at Carron Bridge, see this...

That's a friendlier, flatter route but I'd stick with mine following the back road round Gargunnock to Fintry to avoid speeding traffic down the A811.

scook94

Veteran
eldudino said:
That's a friendlier, flatter route but I'd stick with mine following the back road round Gargunnock to Fintry to avoid speeding traffic down the A811.

Yup that's probably the better option.

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
I'm back !!! Looks like you all had a grand day out (although I often wonder how HlaB ever makes it home when he's out on his marathon solo jaunts :smile:), and some great weather.

I now have a greater appreciation for my Texan cycling friends - I've never experienced heat like that before. How they ride more than the length of the street in that I'll never know; try to imagine getting into a gigantic oven with your bike and riding in there. 104F in the shade, and with 65 - 75% humidity it feels even hotter. I'd be passing out within the first few miles....

So I'm all the more thankful we're cycling over here.

I should be in for the next ride, although I'm saddened that I missed the jersey signing. :smile:

scook94

Veteran
eldudino said:
I'm planning on doing this at the weekend if the weather's fine, it'll be a good warm-up for the next CC ride, though it might have to wait according to the widget on my dashboard - rain Sat and Sunday! :smile:

Did you manage to get this route done? How were the hills?

Top Bottom