cervelo s5 or s works venge

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
Well, wind tunnel data is as always a bit of an odd one too, however, at least in a tunnel the results are generally repeatable in context, in the test you quoted, the noise would be greater than the actual performance benefit of one frame over another, looking at how close some of the lap times were. Also, variance in the timekeepers reaction time would account for a few fractions of a second alone.

I would have suggested a fairer way to test would be to set them all up the same, with the same kit, have a rider ride round a velodrome with a power meter attached and compare the CdA data (this way deviation from the same line wouldn't matter) and you would get a good estimation of which bike is quickest at low yaw (then again though, if you get a few that are close, the noise in the data is likely higher in magnitude than the actual differences you are trying to detect, i.e. in the real world, it's neither here nor there in the context in which these bikes are to be used really). Of course you can do the same on the road using a circuit or out and back course, but it would be less repeatable due to wind, surfaces etc.

I would dare to day that what you suggest would also be subjective in terms of determining the bikes performance. I have always found the Venge for example to be far stronger and stable under braking when descending than the Pinerello Dogma which is an important part of the overall performance, but this is not going to be repeatable in a velodrome either...Interesting problem and I'm not sure there is a solution with regards to testing which is not subjective.

SteCenturion

I am your Father
While you are on Mr H can I pick your brains ? As mine are shot.

I have seen that the 2013 Venge Comp & Expert are both reduced & although this is only a hypothetical consideration as yet, what do you know about the frame weights of these ??

I know from reading they both use Fact 10R frames but I always thought there was a Fact 11R below the S Works frames too.

Is there a Venge with 11R ??

I had been considering a Giant TCR & a Fondreist frame & forks but I really need 0 % finance to be able to achieve any of them & over a longish period too, so not available on 1st two choices.

I would consider both the Venge bikes possibly, with a preference for the Expert spec, but the colour scheme (& price) of the Comp is more achievable.

What do you think of the Roval wheelset on the 2013 Expert Mr H ??

Sorry, can't do links & I am on phone too.

Cheers.

Last edited:

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I would dare to day that what you suggest would also be subjective in terms of determining the bikes performance. I have always found the Venge for example to be far stronger and stable under braking when descending than the Pinerello Dogma which is an important part of the overall performance, but this is not going to be repeatable in a velodrome either...Interesting problem and I'm not sure there is a solution with regards to testing which is not subjective.

Depends on how you define fastest in that case, I'd say the fastest bike is the one that goes faster for a given power (or put another way, goes a given speed for least power).

SteCenturion

I am your Father
Ive just been to the Giant store to drop back the Fizik test saddle and asked them what they thought of the venge . It look like a dog taking a poo was the reply :eek:
I suppose they kind of have too Cuch, to an extent as they are direct competitors, but funny all the same.

It would have been even funnier had you asked them to get you a Venge in for a trial.

:eek: Dog $#1T$ on carpet faces would have been pulled.

Mr Haematocrit

Depends on how you define fastest in that case, I'd say the fastest bike is the one that goes faster for a given power (or put another way, goes a given speed for least power).

I would agree with you in terms of a TT bike however I would define the fastest as quickest from point 'A' to point 'B' with regards to a road bike which is being discussed here.

Mr Haematocrit

. It looks like a dog taking a poo was the reply :eek:

Sounds like you have only seen the Venge from the back would have been my retort

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
There does not seem to be a dominant road bike out there when it comes to road races, the bike is only as fast as the person riding it, The Venge is a great bike along with a few others,but a full blown race bike would not suit a lot of normal riders. Would love to try one though.^_^

Mr Haematocrit

I have seen that the 2013 Venge Comp & Expert are both reduced & although this is only a hypothetical consideration as yet, what do you know about the frame weights of these ??

I'm not aware of the frame weights but the Venge is no lightweight in any format

I know from reading they both use Fact 10R frames but I always thought there was a Fact 11R below the S Works frames too.

Is there a Venge with 11R ??

The non works venge is 10r the S-Works 11r and the McLaren 12r

I had been considering a Giant TCR & a Fondreist frame & forks but I really need 0 % finance to be able to achieve any of them & over a longish period too, so not available on 1st two choices.

I would consider both the Venge bikes possibly, with a preference for the Expert spec, but the colour scheme (& price) of the Comp is more achievable.

What do you think of the Roval wheelset on the 2013 Expert Mr H ??.

The Roval wheelset is OK its not a bad set of wheels, bit heavy for my liking but they are pretty strong.
Although I'm a massive fan of the Venge when @jowwy was considering the Venge Expert or Comp I stated that the SL4 Tarmac was a far better better bike for the money and it is something I still believe is true.
Don't overlook the Tarmac it is a seriously impressive bike.

SteCenturion

I am your Father
I think personally I would have to have a go on a Venge rather than chance buying blind as I already have a lovely bike that sits somewhere between Tarmac & Venge in design terms.

Specialized are really 'controlling' of the dealerships too so there really isn't more than a penny price difference between stores, which I find odd.

Maybe this serves to artificially promote the brands products as premium price.

I am sure they are a premium brand but so are Cannondale, Bianchi, Giant, Scott etc, etc & they all allow competition between retailers.

I just don't know.

Will have to get a test ride.

OP
OP
jack smith

jack smith

Veteran
gone for this one although the decals on the one im getting are abit more subdued into the frame but the same colour and im going to get some plain matt black 50mm carbon clinchers to keep with the subtle stealth look, sora to start with ( i know) then going to get a new group just before the summer. probably sram
venge.jpg

Top Bottom