cervelo s5 or s works venge

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
This is the Evo in my lbs obviously I'm just after the frame but it would match my shoes! View attachment 43551 View attachment 43552
Ahhh well , if it matches your shoes then its a no brainer innit :thumbsup:

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
I personally love the Venge but its harsh, it is stiff to a point where you go down pot holes and you better hang on to your fillings.
It does not climb particularly well and the riding position is compromised slightly for performance. But it begs you to go faster and faster and is exciting and really enjoyable to ride. This is an insanely fast bike.
I can enjoy the Venge because I have a nice sensible Tarmac for social rides with friends, have no doubt the Tarmac is fast, its an incredible bike in its own right, but it climbs exceptionally well and is pure class compared to the Venge's brute force.
The super six evo is very similar in this respect to the tarmac.

If these bikes were cars the Super six and Tarmac would be a Mitsubishi Evo - fast as heck, but equally happy in town with the family or doing instance speeds down country lanes
The Venge would be Audi R8 it might be a bit faster, but you can't get your family in it and around town its not great due to being a bit to big, a bit to wide and parking is a nightmare as visibility is worse than the evo.... It goes really well but living with it is less fun.
Your OK if you own both of them.. Lol

Mr Haematocrit

my local store is harrogate so quite a trek which is a shame, im tempted by the supersix now lol its too tough of a choice! i will probably end up with the venge though, would i be a moron to put a sora group on it? as it literally is decent wheels or decent group

The Venge is compromised by its very nature, I personally think sora would do this further and the outcome would not be an enjoyable bike to own.

Just noticed your allez has same bars as my Venge so your nearly there, you just need the rest :thumbsup:

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
You cant go for a cheaper group set on a nice frame Jack . That's just bonkers ! I would save the money and wait if you can .
Having said that there are a lot of good deals in the for sale section on here . Dura ace brakes for £50 :eek: as an example . I nearly bought them for my TCR advanced but they didn't match the rest of the group set :laugh:
Then there is the £35 Ultegra 6700 double chain set :eek:

Last edited:

zizou

Veteran
Rather than looking at the Sworks frame why not the standard frame and you could have saved enough to then have a decent groupset and wheels too?

Will still be a really good frame even if says Specialized on it rather than Sworks

Mr Haematocrit

I prefer the 808s on the Cav because they look amazing and can be very fast at times. This does not however make them a good choice, in crosswinds they can produce interesting handling even on best of class rims like Zipps.
The 404 rim depth is simply easier to live with and to be honest a better wheel.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
You will really struggle to get a SuperSix frame only in the UK, the do appear on eBay mainly from the USA.

I think 105 as a minimum or SRAM Rival/Force. Might be some deals around on 105 since the launch of the 11-speed one

Mr Haematocrit

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
The S5 would first need to pass the BMC TMR01 and the Dogma 65.1 Think2 before it even got close enough to kick the Venge's arse according to peleton magazines test:laugh:

View attachment 43543

IIRC that test was a bit of a shoot one :tongue: Riding round the block on a bike won't tell you which is the fastest, it will tell you which lap you rode best, especially with those time gaps, one corner taken at a slightly different line and you drop from fastest to 3rd fastest :tongue:

Mr Haematocrit

IIRC that test was a bit of a **** one :tongue: Riding round the block on a bike won't tell you which is the fastest, it will tell you which lap you rode best, especially with those time gaps, one corner taken at a slightly different line and you drop from fastest to 3rd fastest :tongue:

Agreed its most certainly not scientific evidence and is of course subjective. But then again is it any less subjective than using wind tunnel data of a bike with no rider to suggest one is faster than the other.
The truth of the matter I expect is far more simple and that the Venge is faster for me than say a Dogma simply because the bikes characteristics suit the manner in which I ride.

Perhaps the comments from the velonews review sums the Venge up nicely and perhaps its also why the bike is successful in the pro-peleton, It could be that the Venge does not excel in any one area but is simply a good bike across the board where the other more focused bikes are only good in one specific area.. I do not really know and again it is speculative thoughts at best - although I find what makes a fast bike an really interesting subject [ even though I am openly biased . lol ]
http://velonews.competitor.com/2012...-pages-of-velo-velolabs-aero-revisited_256023
Specialized markets the Venge as “more bike than aero.” Normally, I’m not a fan of ad-speak, but it sums up the bike well. The Venge is a great bike that happens to be aerodynamic. Because it’s stiff enough for sprinters, but comfortable enough for long days in the saddle (especially solo ones where aerodynamics play a larger role), the Venge is the high-performance jack-of-all-trades in this round-up.

Anyway my mum said all the good looking kids own Venges ;)

Last edited:

SteCenturion

I am your Father
Agreed its most certainly not scientific evidence and is of course subjective. But then again is it any less subjective than using wind tunnel data of a bike with no rider to suggest one is faster than the other.
The truth of the matter I expect is far more simple and that the Venge is faster for me than say a Dogma simply because the bikes characteristics suit the manner in which I ride.

Perhaps the comments from the velonews review sums the Venge up nicely and perhaps its also why the bike is successful in the pro-peleton, It could be that the Venge does not excel in any one area but is simply a good bike across the board where the other more focused bikes are only good in one specific area.. I do not really know and again it is speculative thoughts at best - although I find what makes a fast bike an really interesting subject [ even though I am openly biased . lol ]
http://velonews.competitor.com/2012...-pages-of-velo-velolabs-aero-revisited_256023

My Mum said I was 'Special'.

& so did my teachers

& the sign @ the school gates said 'Special'

So I am told.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!

Well, wind tunnel data is as always a bit of an odd one too, however, at least in a tunnel the results are generally repeatable in context, in the test you quoted, the noise would be greater than the actual performance benefit of one frame over another, looking at how close some of the lap times were. Also, variance in the timekeepers reaction time would account for a few fractions of a second alone.

I would have suggested a fairer way to test would be to set them all up the same, with the same kit, have a rider ride round a velodrome with a power meter attached and compare the CdA data (this way deviation from the same line wouldn't matter) and you would get a good estimation of which bike is quickest at low yaw (then again though, if you get a few that are close, the noise in the data is likely higher in magnitude than the actual differences you are trying to detect, i.e. in the real world, it's neither here nor there in the context in which these bikes are to be used really). Of course you can do the same on the road using a circuit or out and back course, but it would be less repeatable due to wind, surfaces etc.

Last edited:
Top Bottom