chain broken, could it be the result of cleaning method?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

si_c

Guru
Chains break unfortunately, I've never had Shimano or KMC chains break on me, but I've had SRAM chains break a couple of times - but don't read anthing other than anecdotal as I use more SRAM chains than anything else.

I carry at least one quick link in my saddlebag as a general rule as well as a multi tool with chainbreaker. It's faster to repair a broken chain than it is a puncture so it's not worth not carrying them.

That being said there have been a couple of times where I've broken a chain and not had a quick link - both times on my MTB, once necessitating a long walk home the other pilfering a quick link from a kind gentleman :laugh:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I'd go with @fossyant a bad shift at some earlier point could have tweaked the link apart leading to it failing a while later.

If the Shimano chain was fitted with some lind of quick link, do these have a lifespan for number of breaks and joins?
Can you join them incorrectly and not notice?

Brandane

Legendary Member
As an aside, I always fit a quick link into any new chain I fit, whether it comes supplied with one or not.
For years I battled with them on the rare occasions I had to take them apart. Oily hands, scraped knuckles and a high level of colourful language; until I discovered these - and calm was restored to my life...... :smile:

Park-Tools-Master-Link-Pliers-Workshop-Tools-QKMLP12-0.jpg

si_c

Guru
As an aside, I always fit a quick link into any new chain I fit, whether it comes supplied with one or not.
For years I battled with them on the rare occasions I had to take them apart. Oily hands, scraped knuckles and a high level of colourful language; until I discovered these - and calm was restored to my life...... :smile:

View attachment 567750
In a pinch you can use a zip tie to open the quick link. You'll need a thick enough one that you can ratchet the tension up enough and it'll break the link.

Bobario

Veteran
If the Shimano chain was fitted with some lind of quick link, do these have a lifespan for number of breaks and joins?
Can you join them incorrectly and not notice?

Unless you are frequently splitting and re-joining the chain without doing many miles on the bike I should imagine they will last as long as the chain. IIRC 10 (and above) speed quick links are sometimes actually quick-locks and are not meant to be undone, though I have had one on my MTB for a while and not had any trouble (touch wood!) even though I've split it a couple of times.
I'm sure it's possible to fit them incorrectly without noticing but if you spin the cranks a couple of times you can usually tell because they either make a noise or don't mesh properly with the teeth on the cassette and/or chainring.

davidphilips

Veteran
Dont think any one will ever be %100 sure what happened to your chain, as for avoiding same thing in future just clean your chain after ever cycle keep it lubed and hope never to have another visit by the chain fairy or even one of the many puncture fairies.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
It happens. Could have been caused by a bad shift at some point.

Always carry a chain splitter and quick link. I damaged a link on a bad shift with worn chain rings on my MTB in summer (I'd ridden the bike loads this year) - fixed very fast with the splitter on my multi tool, and spare quick link fitted. Binned the chain after, and I would advise you do the same.

I'm not keen on 'SL' chains with the cut outs.
What?

davidphilips

Veteran
Shifting when under load can cause great stress on the side plates of a chain when the chain is sort of at an angle between 2 cogs, know lots dont like shimano chains but they are actually better at resisting side loads than most because of the way they are pinned.

Some times damage can not even be seen or noticed and chain will seem ok for hundreds of miles know i have only had it happen to me once (can not say it was caused by shifting under load) noticed a pin almost out when cleaning the chain and since then after ever cycle even in good weather give the chain a quick wipe and hopefully see if any thing is not right?

View attachment 567750
I have something like this and it works well. My mind may be playing tricks on me, but I seem to remember using a brand of quick link that didn't require tools, and could be done by hand, with a reasonably modest effort?

Top Bottom