chain broken, could it be the result of cleaning method?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brandane

Legendary Member
erm you can clearly see the letters kmc embossed on the chain in your photo.
I didn't take a picture of my chain after the event as it was dark, and I was in a hurry to get home, it went in the nearest bin rather than soiling my bag, but the break looked like this.
I think the OP binned the original chain, and the pic is borrowed from somewhere for illustration only?

Bobario

Veteran
I have something like this and it works well. My mind may be playing tricks on me, but I seem to remember using a brand of quick link that didn't require tools, and could be done by hand, with a reasonably modest effort?
All the 7 speed ones I've used on my commuter have been quite easy to undo by hand. All my other bikes are 10 speed and are a pain to open and close without the tool. Maybe tolerances are tighter? The chains themselves are obviously thinner as are the side plates.

Since it's now in the bin in the middle of Bradford City Centre, I can't prove it, but I'm certain it was a Shimano chain, the image is just to demonstrate the type of failure. My own experience with various KMC chains has been positive, I've used them consistently for tens of thousands of miles of riding, never experienced this with KMC. It did happen once to me in 2015, but that fell down a storm drain so didn't get to inspect the failure!

I think it's fair to say wet oil is standard fare for UK riding.

Thanks, I had one on my cheapo multi tool, but it completely failed to push out the broken link pin and even bent under the stain, next time I'll carry my shop quality park tool breaker.
the chain breaker on Topeak multitools is very good - superior to some so-called workshop tools.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Shifting when under load can cause great stress on the side plates of a chain when the chain is sort of at an angle between 2 cogs, know lots dont like shimano chains but they are actually better at resisting side loads than most because of the way they are pinned.

Some times damage can not even be seen or noticed and chain will seem ok for hundreds of miles know i have only had it happen to me once (can not say it was caused by shifting under load) noticed a pin almost out when cleaning the chain and since then after ever cycle even in good weather give the chain a quick wipe and hopefully see if any thing is not right?
More likely to have been rubbing on front derailer.

normgow

Guru
My mind may be playing tricks on me, but I seem to remember using a brand of quick link that didn't require tools, and could be done by hand, with a reasonably modest effort?
Do you mean Wippermann Connex chain links? I always use them and up until now never had any problem. They are easily assembled and dis-assembled and can be re-used an infinite number of times which almost makes chain cleaning a pleasure.

houblon

Do you mean Wippermann Connex chain links? I always use them and up until now never had any problem. They are easily assembled and dis-assembled and can be re-used an infinite number of times which almost makes chain cleaning a pleasure.
That's the chap.

davidphilips

Veteran
Silly question maybe but does any one have experience of more or less chains breaking with Di2 etc? know the shifting can be done under load etc Have not seen any with Di2 but just a thought? Know any one that has used non indexed gears would be far more likely to ease up when shifting etc so again may be less likely to damage a chain?

I've got the crank bros multi tool too. PITA to use as it's so bulky.
I carry separate stuff now including a chain tool. More bulky but far easier to use when you need to.

Top Bottom