Chain cleaning and degreasing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RyanB98

Ive been looking at previous posts about how often you should clean your chain and what you should use. What I am questioning though is if I go out on my bike 3-4 times a week and wash it when I get home, do I need to degrease it and then lube it back up everytime? If not which I assume you dont, how do I go about cleaning the chain without the degreaser?
Thanks

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
I spray some GT85 into a rag and run the dirty chain through the rag then re-lube.

Jody

Stubborn git
I am questioning though is if I go out on my bike 3-4 times a week and wash it when I get home, do I need to degrease it and then lube it back up everytime?

Don't degrease it. Just wipe it dry then re-apply lube and maybe wash your bike a little bit less unless its winter.

I'm thinking of starting my own bicycle chain lube company selling fair trade, organic, free range, gluten free, vegan, whole-meal chain lube in various flavours of aromatherapy such as 'Desert Orchid Dryzabone K-Rusty Oxide', 'Gritty Treaclepaste Black Gack', 'Back-O-The-Shed Spider's Nest Special' and 'Grandad's Parafin Lamp Dregs Delight'. And maybe 'Lavender'.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
I'm thinking of starting my own bicycle chain lube company selling fair trade, organic, free range, gluten free, vegan, whole-meal chain lube in various flavours of aromatherapy such as 'Desert Orchid Dryzabone K-Rusty Oxide', 'Gritty Treaclepaste Black Gack', 'Back-O-The-Shed Spider's Nest Special' and 'Grandad's Parafin Lamp Dregs Delight'. And maybe 'Lavender'.

Do you do a homeopathic version?

S-Express

And maybe 'Lavender'.

I'll take 25 litres of Lavender. Do you do Paypal?

Drago

Legendary Member
I', already selling Scruttocks Olde Shagnasty Deluxe Chain Urgent to the hipsters. Also doubles as a passable moustache wax.

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
I give it a scrub with a soft ish bristled brush with exactly the same stuff as I wash the rest of the bike. a bucket of hot water and washing up liquid. Then a dry down and a spray of wd40 or gt85. Give it 30 secs or so to let it soak in a bit then spin the peddles for about 30 secs to work it in further. This displaces the water and leaves a coating of lube on. I then leave it for an hour or so before giving it a wipe and a proper lube. Mind you I only wash the bikes properly when they need it. Thats after most rides with the mountain bikes.

greekonabike

President of the 'Democratic Republic' of GOAB
Don't buy one of those fancy chain cleaner gizmos. I've got a Park Tools one and I've used it once...I now clean my chain with an oily rag. The rag came from a multipack from a DIY shop and cost me about 8p. The chain cleaner cost me £15...go figure.

GOAB

Tin Pot

Guru
Chainsets covered in shoot look awful, I don't give a shoot what engineers think/say about things being meant to be like that.

I have one chainset, immaculate, tuned, raced only that is always perfect.

I have another chainset on a bike I commute on that is always farked.

I'll take the clean one, cheers.

Top Bottom