Chain cleaning and degreasing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
[QUOTE 4636995, member: 9609"]Y the simplest and most thorough solution is to boil it in oil ([/QUOTE]

Doesn't sound that simple to me, despite what you say. Where do you boil it? Do you live alone?

S-Express

[QUOTE 4636995, member: 9609"]if the chain has had a good soaking on wet salty roads the simplest and most thorough solution is to boil it in oil (I use chainsaw as its sticky and I also have loads of it) . It leaves the chain beautifully clean and you get virtually no wear on your next ride. Surprisingly quick to do, drop it in a tin heat it up to 100c, lift out and allow to drip dry, by the time you have rubbed the rest of the bike down it is ready to refit. Lift it out when hot though, I have tried letting it cool in the oil but the problem here is the inner parts of the rollers stay full of oil and when you start pedalling it all ouses out and makes a bit of a mess.[/QUOTE]

I've mentioned this before in another thread - but if the oil is already in a liquid state, then boiling it will not add anything useful to the lubrication process.

Dan B

Disengaged member
I got caught out in the rain on Monday and found on Tuesday morning it had flushed all the lube out of my chain, so my bike sounded like a chainsaw all the way to work and back. Wednesday I did an "emergency" clean with an old t-shirt and a can of gt85 that I keep in my work locker, then on Thursday night I got caught out in driving snow and have doubtless rendered my handiwork a complete waste of 40 valuable seconds. (Today I got the train instead)

mustang1

Guru
I either

A. Degrease and relube the chain.
B. Degrease and relube the chain and wash the bike.

In other words, I never wash the bike without degreasing/relubing the chain.

Tin Pot

Guru
But if you degrease the chainset (am assuming you include the chain in this) and then apply lube without having washed off the degreaser, aren't you going to cause problems for the new lube?

The use of degreaser is a matter of religion around these parts - there is no process for cleaning a bike that would not be criticised :smile:

Its worked for me.

tyred

Legendary Member
Clean a bike? :ohmy:

God does that for me every time it rains:okay:
hqdefault.jpg

chr15b

Über Member
I use White Lightning Clean Ride - been happy with it.

Ride bike.
Run chain through a rag.
Apply clean ride.
Remove excess with clean rag.

Top Bottom