1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chain cleaning and degreasing

Discussion in 'Bicycle Mechanics and Repairs' started by RyanB98, 10 Jan 2017.

1. swee'pea99

swee'pea99 Guru

People clean chains?

NorthernDave, tyred and Drago like this.
  2. pawl

pawl Über Member

I can think of worse places for thongs to get stuck

raleighnut and greekonabike like this.
  3. I used to use people but the Vicar was quite vocal about being left covered in grime, so I use rags now.

4. tyred

tyred Guru

5. Tin Pot

Tin Pot Veteran

6. Scoosh

Scoosh Velocouchiste Staff Member

tyred likes this.
  7. You are a bad person.

Scoosh and raleighnut like this.
  8. swee'pea99

swee'pea99 Guru

That's what they say, but I don't believe them.

9. confusedcyclist

confusedcyclist Senior Member

Step 1. Buy this or similar http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/20-LITRES...042417?hash=item360836ca31:g:4~YAAOSwFV9Xxpk2
    Step 2. Dilute 1 part in 3 to 5 parts water depending on how band the chain is and pour into a Park Tool Chain Cleaner.
    Step 3. Save shoot tonne of money on GT85 or WD45.

20L should last forever if you clean montly, this way it costs peanuts. Citrus degreaser is biodegradable, not as toxic as most of the crap on the market. I wouldn't advise drinking it though. Doesn't taste like lemonade... hicup. :wacko::hungry:

10. Tin Pot

Tin Pot Veteran

Did mine today.

1. Spray the chainset with degreaser, then go off and clean the wheels.
    2. Come back wipe the chain thoroughly with a rag and spray with lube
    3. Remove rear wheel, use rag to floss between the cogs
    4. Scrub cassette with degreaser, scrape out gunk with a flat head screwdriver, then hot soapy water. Then spray with lube.

It's winter, so wipe down the chain every day and add a small amount of wet lube as appropriate.

11. Gixxerman

Gixxerman Über Member

12. Blue Hills

Blue Hills Veteran

but what about all the grit and muck that builds up between the links?

Salty seadog likes this.
  13. Blue Hills

Blue Hills Veteran

But if you degrease the chainset (am assuming you include the chain in this) and then apply lube without having washed off the degreaser, aren't you going to cause problems for the new lube?

14. Ajax Bay

Ajax Bay Über Member

IMO 'spraying' lubrication onto a chain is a route to ineffectiveness. One's lubrication of choice needs to be dripped on (if the chain stays on), and excess wiped off (ideally with time in between).

Blue Hills and Reiver like this.
  15. Reiver

Reiver Whistling down the hills, tearing up the climbs

Yep, you need to get the oil inside the rollers

if the chain has had a good soaking on wet salty roads the simplest and most thorough solution is to boil it in oil (I use chainsaw as its sticky and I also have loads of it) . It leaves the chain beautifully clean and you get virtually no wear on your next ride. Surprisingly quick to do, drop it in a tin heat it up to 100c, lift out and allow to drip dry, by the time you have rubbed the rest of the bike down it is ready to refit. Lift it out when hot though, I have tried letting it cool in the oil but the problem here is the inner parts of the rollers stay full of oil and when you start pedalling it all ouses out and makes a bit of a mess.

tyred likes this.