Chain cleaning and degreasing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pawl

Legendary Member
Don't use a thong, they get stuck in the front mech....apparently.

GOAB

I can think of worse places for thongs to get stuck

Step 1. Buy this or similar http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/20-LITRES...042417?hash=item360836ca31:g:4~YAAOSwFV9Xxpk2
Step 2. Dilute 1 part in 3 to 5 parts water depending on how band the chain is and pour into a Park Tool Chain Cleaner.
Step 3. Save shoot tonne of money on GT85 or WD45.

20L should last forever if you clean montly, this way it costs peanuts. Citrus degreaser is biodegradable, not as toxic as most of the crap on the market. I wouldn't advise drinking it though. Doesn't taste like lemonade... hicup. :wacko::hungry:

Tin Pot

Guru
Did mine today.

1. Spray the chainset with degreaser, then go off and clean the wheels.
2. Come back wipe the chain thoroughly with a rag and spray with lube
3. Remove rear wheel, use rag to floss between the cogs
4. Scrub cassette with degreaser, scrape out gunk with a flat head screwdriver, then hot soapy water. Then spray with lube.

It's winter, so wipe down the chain every day and add a small amount of wet lube as appropriate.

Did mine today.

1. Spray the chainset with degreaser, then go off and clean the wheels.
2. Come back wipe the chain thoroughly with a rag and spray with lube
3. Remove rear wheel, use rag to floss between the cogs
4. Scrub cassette with degreaser, scrape out gunk with a flat head screwdriver, then hot soapy water. Then spray with lube.

It's winter, so wipe down the chain every day and add a small amount of wet lube as appropriate.
But if you degrease the chainset (am assuming you include the chain in this) and then apply lube without having washed off the degreaser, aren't you going to cause problems for the new lube?

Top Bottom