Chain cleaning cassette gizmoey thing.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mrs M

Guru
I put T2 stuff on a sponge and wipe it down, poke the straw "thing" in between if lookin a bit too manky:smile:. Has served me well through many moons, if not a new chain works well:thumbsup:

Works well the first time, IMO though, after mucho faffing, etc, just use a rag.
I find the rag disintegrates and bits get stuck where I don't want them. The chain cleaner just makes life easier and results in less faffing.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I mickle it regularly but once in a while (shock horror!) I put the chain in an ultrasonic bath with Jizer degreaser. Once it's nice and shiny, I wash it in warm soapy water , rinse it thoroughly, stick it in the oven at 60 degrees C, and relube. I do the same with the cassette. I suspect @mickle won't like that, but I felt the need to confess.
Good. I thought I was the only one who did that.

This practice of taking the chain off to clean it, presumably this only works for 9 speed or less ? I've had bad experiences of joining chains with the break off type pins and the only 10 speed joining links I've come across are single use, unlike 9 speed or less.

BigAl68

Über Member
when I was younger and naive I spent money on chain cleaning products but never a gizmo thingy. Then I came across the mickle method and have never done anything else since. I even have a rag bag with clean ones at the ready in my tool box these days, oh how I have changed and for the better.

Gixxerman

Guru
This practice of taking the chain off to clean it, presumably this only works for 9 speed or less ? I've had bad experiences of joining chains with the break off type pins and the only 10 speed joining links I've come across are single use, unlike 9 speed or less.
I got some reusable 10-speed links from halfrauds.
http://www.halfords.com/cycling/cyc...shim-sram-kmc-bike-chain-links-card-of-2#tab1
They are a bit tight to get on / off but they seem to work great on my Shimano dura-ace chain.

when I was younger and naive I spent money on chain cleaning products but never a gizmo thingy. Then I came across the mickle method and have never done anything else since. I even have a rag bag with clean ones at the ready in my tool box these days, oh how I have changed and for the better.
There speaks the voice of reason!

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I got some reusable 10-speed links from halfrauds.
http://www.halfords.com/cycling/cyc...shim-sram-kmc-bike-chain-links-card-of-2#tab1
They are a bit tight to get on / off but they seem to work great on my Shimano dura-ace chain.
I'm a huge fan of KMC missing links. Make sure you get the ones marked "reusable". I've never had a problem snapping them on. Just get on the bike, put both brakes on, and put a lot of weight on the pedals so that the chain goes into fierce tension.
Getting them off is a bit hit and miss. Sometimes they come apart really easily just with some gentle finger manipulation. Other times they are really stubborn. I spent £8 on the KMC Missing Link Remover tool. Money well spent.

Top Bottom