Chain Cleaning

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tetedelacourse

You can get them in Edinburgh. I've only ever been a passenger and a very drunken one at that. It was slow and freezing - just after Christmas last year. Would have been quicker walking.

Tetedelacourse

ps I now walk The One True Path.

Ranger

gambatte said:
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/SearchResults.aspx?Search=powerlink&x=0&y=0

Good to have in an emergency. If your chain snaps, you can easily get up and going again. Once you've got the knack, theres easy to separate as well. There are speed specific, gold and silver, one for 8 and one for 9 speed. Can't remember which way round, but it says in the Advert

Oh, so that's what that funny looking link is that appeared when it returned from the bike shop.

OK then, how do I get it off? Or should I say, with my normal level of mechanical competence, how do I get it off and still be able to put it back together again?

I am firmly on the dark side when it comes to my chain

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
There are quite a few different types of connector out there, best to find out which one yours is and research. Some are not reusable, and others have differing ways of joining/breaking the link.

p.s. are you lot going to fess up what the One True Way is then? If you mean fixed, then I don't clean the chain either, apart from the occasional wipe-down.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Ah, well, I do that too on Sheldon's advice, but that only works for so long. The lube inside the chain will eventually be contaminated from internal wear of the chain, even if you assume there's no ingress of external contaminants, which would be silly.

A proper Sheldon Shake and relube is very nearly as good as having a new chain.

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
Ranger said:
OK then, how do I get it off? Or should I say, with my normal level of mechanical competence, how do I get it off and still be able to put it back together again?

Push the side plates towards each other (as if you're trying to make the chain thinner)

Push the ends of the link together (as if you're trying to make the link shorter) Pushing on the pin section, not the plate.

Should come apart. (if as BM says, they fitted a powerlink)

BentMikey said:
Ah, well, I do that too on Sheldon's advice, but that only works for so long. The lube inside the chain will eventually be contaminated from internal wear of the chain, even if you assume there's no ingress of external contaminants, which would be silly.

Capillary action old chap, capillary action.

And if you keep your chain clean by wiping off the excess lube it doesnt attract sh!t and grit off the road.

Regular topping up with fresh lube mixes it with the old lube so you're constantly wiping away a mix of both. Lube it, turn the pedals, wipe it. No other action required.

Am happy to submit the process to peer review.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
This is starting to go toooooooo far.......... Just walk the path that's it !

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
mickle said:
Capillary action old chap, capillary action.

And if you keep your chain clean by wiping off the excess lube it doesnt attract sh!t and grit off the road.

Regular topping up with fresh lube mixes it with the old lube so you're constantly wiping away a mix of both. Lube it, turn the pedals, wipe it. No other action required.

Am happy to submit the process to peer review.

Your logic has self-defeated!!!! You want to keep the chain grease inside, yet capillary action is there to flush the old dirty grease out, and replace it with new clean oil, whilst conveniently forgetting about the crud that new oil will be bringing with it, because you can't wipe it all off. You can't have it both ways, your plan looks rather like it relies on witchdoctor medicine.

OP
OP
Plax

Plax

Guru
OK, I have the following from Halfrauds as I couldn't be bothered waiting to get it off ebay/the internet;
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/...1545_crumb_33980-31270_parentcategoryrn_31545

Now, it has some citrus degreaser with it. I take it it is a case of cleaning the chain with this stuff, running the chain through a cloth to remove any excess degreaser and then spraying it with a lube - I only have GT85 in the house I take it that this would be suitable? Would I then just need to run the chain through a cloth to get any excess lube off? Should I get a dry lube instead?

I've got a gear cleaning brush too as I am finding it hard to clean the cassette etc with a toothbrush. Do you spray the cassette and stuff with GT85 too and wipe off any excess?

I have looked at my chain but it isn't pre-fitted with a powerlink. If I ever need to fit a new chain I think I will go through this powerlink route so I can take it off to clean. However since I'm a newbie at this cycling lark I'm gonna try and keep it simple for now!

Top Bottom