Chain Gang Handicap Race

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bored Man

Upstanding Member
No, it's just you didn't have previous time for the next stage, so the spread sheet didn't have a row for you. Sorry, didn't mean you to feel unwelcome!

I've put you in for all four stages, with a Start Time of 0:00.

Geoff

Cheers Geoff,

Second stage complete.

Another unremarkable time but getting better..

Cheers Geoff

Jim

Gregory_ca

Regular
Hi Geoff,
I would like to join today's race, could you please give me a start time?
Thanks

peterob

Veteran
Hi Geoff

I'd like to join the handicap chase. Tuesday's are a good time for me!

Am I best getting a time from a stage or do you just need my current FTP/weight to get a handicap time?

Thanks
Pete

OP
OP
gbrown

gbrown

Geoff on Bkool
The next Handicap Chase is 2016 Banff GranFondo S3

Next run is tonight, Tuesday 7th March 2017, warm up starts at 6:50pm, ride proper at 7pm (plus your Start Time)

Start Times (Handicaps) are as follows... (when underway time equals or exceeds the given Start Time).

If anyone else wants to take part, can they let us know a competitive time for the stage, or failing that their fitness level and who they usually finish close to.

upload_2017-3-14_17-44-43.png

Your handicap is based on your previous times, and is used to generate a Start Time.

Like golf, the higher the Handicap the more assistance you get, so the earlier the Start Time.

Your Handicap is reduced slightly if you have only completed one chase, and reduced more if you have completed none (and your time is based on doing the stage outside the handicap format). Therefore you are rewarded for completing the handicap chase once, and rewarded more for a second one, as your time should more closely reflect your current potential.

Finally, the Handicap is also reduced slightly for those who are furthest behind the fastest time, as they have more chance of significantly improving their times. The front runners will always struggle to improve their times much, especially after a couple of runs, so they need the full Handicap to stay competitive.

This algorithm has developed across several stages (and previous Chain Gang rides) and closed the bulk of the field from around 10 minutes to around 3 minutes, and hopefully future runs will close it up again slightly.

It is always likely that the win will be taken by an early starter who improves significantly, which is probably a good thing as it improves motivation. It is also possible that any significant under performance on previous bests will result in trailing in at the back, for even the fastest riders. I don't think this can be helped. However, so long as the bulk of the entrants finish close together it should make for a more entertaining session for the majority, and make the format worthwhile.

Geoff

Last edited:
Top Bottom