Chain Gang Handicap Race

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gaileb

The next Handicap Chase is Pico Peñas de Dios

Next run is 8pm (plus handicap) Tonight, 5th April 2016.

Start Times (Handicaps) are as follows... (when underway time equals or exceeds the given values).

If anyone else wants to take part, can they let us know a competitive time for the stage, or failing that their fitness level and who they usually finish close to.

View attachment 123196

Your handicap is based on your previous times, and is used to generate a Start Time.

Like golf, the higher the Handicap the more assistance you get, so the earlier the Start Time.

Your Handicap is reduced slightly if you have only completed one chase, and reduced more if you have completed none (and your time is based on doing the stage outside the handicap format). Therefore you are rewarded for completing the handicap chase once, and rewarded more for a second one, as your time should more closely reflect your current potential.

Finally, the Handicap is also reduced slightly for those who are furthest behind the fastest time, as they have more chance of significantly improving their times. The front runners will always struggle to improve their times much, especially after a couple of runs, so they need the full Handicap to stay competitive.

This algorithm has developed across several stages (and previous Chain Gang rides) and closed the bulk of the field from around 10 minutes to around 3 minutes, and hopefully future runs will close it up again slightly.

It is always likely that the win will be taken by an early starter who improves significantly, which is probably a good thing as it improves motivation. It is also possible that any significant under performance on previous bests will result in trailing in at the back, for even the fastest riders. I don't think this can be helped. However, so long as the bulk of the entrants finish close together it should make for a more entertaining session for the majority, and make the format worthwhile.

Geoff
Sorry, I won't be taking part tonight. Got a stinking cold and can't think of anything worse than dripping sweat and dripping nose combined, but hopefully next time^_^

OP
OP
gbrown

gbrown

Geoff on Bkool
Sorry, I won't be taking part tonight. Got a stinking cold and can't think of anything worse than dripping sweat and dripping nose combined, but hopefully next time^_^

Does that mean Rick's allowed a go? :whistle:

Hope you're feeling better soon!

Geoff

Gaileb

Does that mean Rick's allowed a go? :whistle:

Hope you're feeling better soon!

Geoff
I like the way you say "allowed" Geoff, as if I am the one who decides who gets to do it! Its more a case of Richard telling me I should do it most weeks and I try to think of a reason not to!! Only joking^_^ , I do like doing handicap race and we try to be fair so Richard encourages me when I'm able to do it ^_^

theboxers

TheBoxers on Cycle Sim sw
Quick update, more in hope than expectation :whistle:. I was playing with the weight setting and the lowest value appears to have changed. I can now input and save 66.2lb (30.028kg). How much this will change the results of me and others I am not sure. But it should open up the weight variations Geoff can use :cursing:.

OP
OP
gbrown

gbrown

Geoff on Bkool
Hello, I'd like to join this group, please.

Ok, you're in, welcome to the group! To get an initial handicap, I'll need to know your FTP average watts.

Geoff

r04DiE

300km a week through London on a road bike.
Ok, you're in, welcome to the group! To get an initial handicap, I'll need to know your FTP average watts.

Geoff
Hello Geoff,

Many thanks and yesterday I racked up 248.18 W.

All the best :smile:

EDIT: I'm 81.3kg if you need that too.

Last edited:

r04DiE

OK, so just to clarify, we can ignore the staggered starts that are demonstrated in the opening post on this thread? We now just adjust our weight in our profile on the Bkool website and then all start at the same time? After the ride, we put our weights back to normal?

Also, where does this appear, in the live tab? We just search for Rundlestone?

Sorry to be such a noob...

OP
OP
gbrown

gbrown

Geoff on Bkool
OK, so just to clarify, we can ignore the staggered starts that are demonstrated in the opening post on this thread? We now just adjust our weight in our profile on the Bkool website and then all start at the same time? After the ride, we put our weights back to normal?

Also, where does this appear, in the live tab? We just search for Rundlestone?

Sorry to be such a noob...

You are correct in all respects. No staggered starts on the weight handicaps, just adjust your weight to the allocated value before joining the session, then put it back afterwards to avoid affecting other rides, etc..

Be aware that these short weight handicap rides are supposed to start slowly, with a 0.1 km neutralized zone to avoid the power monsters getting the drop on everyone else and clearing off. So everyone should start slowly and group together, building up speed gradually over the first 100 meters, then go for it.

Unfortunately I messed up the start banners this month and they are not at 0.1 km (incorrectly at 1 km) so you just have to keep a sharp eye on the distance read out and the other riders! Sorry, I'll try and get it correct again for next month.

Finally, Apart from the designated starter, everyone should find it in the live tab. Just filter on handicap or rundlestone.

If anyone else wants to try the session, please avoid having a session running at 8pm as this wrecks the official start for everyone else. The last few weeks we have had other sessions running, so to avoid joining an existing session a different password has to be agreed and posted in the monster thread. If you are having problems finding the right session, always check the latest posts in the monster thread for any directions.

I hope you enjoy the format. You first handicap may not be spot on, so I don't know if you will be far ahead or far behind, but once a finish has been recorded, handicaps are adjusted to try and keep the finish close.

Geoff

r04DiE

You are correct in all respects. No staggered starts on the weight handicaps, just adjust your weight to the allocated value before joining the session, then put it back afterwards to avoid affecting other rides, etc..

Be aware that these short weight handicap rides are supposed to start slowly, with a 0.1 km neutralized zone to avoid the power monsters getting the drop on everyone else and clearing off. So everyone should start slowly and group together, building up speed gradually over the first 100 meters, then go for it.

Unfortunately I messed up the start banners this month and they are not at 0.1 km (incorrectly at 1 km) so you just have to keep a sharp eye on the distance read out and the other riders! Sorry, I'll try and get it correct again for next month.

Finally, Apart from the designated starter, everyone should find it in the live tab. Just filter on handicap or rundlestone.

If anyone else wants to try the session, please avoid having a session running at 8pm as this wrecks the official start for everyone else. The last few weeks we have had other sessions running, so to avoid joining an existing session a different password has to be agreed and posted in the monster thread. If you are having problems finding the right session, always check the latest posts in the monster thread for any directions.

I hope you enjoy the format. You first handicap may not be spot on, so I don't know if you will be far ahead or far behind, but once a finish has been recorded, handicaps are adjusted to try and keep the finish close.

Geoff
Thank you very much, Geoff for your detailed explanation.

After all that, not sure I can make tonight's but 8pm is a good time for me usually so I'll defo be taking part in these regularly.

Happy anniversary and congratulations to you both :smile:

OP
OP
gbrown

gbrown

Geoff on Bkool
Tonight's Handicap Chase is a special Handicap Climb with adjusted rider weights to equalize Watts/Kg

Session is password protected, password is announced in the main thread as soon as the session is up and running!

Course is Cheddar Gorge Climb

The warm-up will start close to 8:00pm BST (UTC+1) to ensure the race starts around 8:10pm BST (UTC+1).

Everyone taking part should adjust their weight to the allocated value before entering the warm up, preferably with at least 5 minutes to go.

Weights are generally reduced, in some cases considerably, to achieve the target Watts/Kg, so speeds should be higher than usual. The main part of the session should not take more than around 20 minutes, and in any case less than 30 minutes, to avoid changing Fitness Levels. Anyone taking longer than 30 minutes would be advised to discard their session without saving.

The Start (for everyone) should be between 8:05 and 8:10, when the warm-up ends.

Once underway, there is a short neutralized zone (0.0625 miles or 0.1 km) to avoid taking advantage of the lowered resistance at start, where no-one is allowed to overtake @JLaw (or if he is not present, you must gradually increase speed to a maximum of 20 mph (32 kph) until you pass the 0.0625 (0.1 km) point.

If anyone else wants to take part, please can you let us know here and we can work out a weight Handicap from your FTP power value or similar.

upload_2016-9-27_9-52-16.png

Top Bottom