Chain Gang Handicap Race

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gbrown

Geoff on Bkool
Procedure for Chain Gang Handicap Races

You will need to be a Premium subscriber to take part in these Multi-player riders.

The session will usually start as close to the hour as possible so Start Times are easy to estimate, e.g. if an 8pm race, warm up will start around 7:50 so the race proper starts at 8pm. However, the indicated time underway is used to determine when a handicapped rider starts, as the time underway should match or exceed the appointed Start Time before a rider starts.

Apart from the person starting the session (a group admin or appointed deputy), the riders will find the session in the live tab. Please do not start your own session.

I have recorded a short video showing the procedure here

The live section only shows the most recent sessions (currently 8) so you should use the search -> filter to find it, otherwise it will quickly drop off the end of the list.

Look for the session in the Live section using the Search and then filter

upload_2016-11-8_13-19-0.png

then search for handicap or chase by typing it in and clicking filter

upload_2016-11-8_13-20-21.png

The session will be password protected with "chase" (no quotes) so it should be easy to spot as it will have a red padlock in the upper left corner.

Due to a bkool bug, you have to try and enter the session without a password (and get the password error dialog) before it will let you enter one, so try and join the session once, close the password error message and the join dialog and return to the filtered live section.

If you're the first off (i.e. Start Time is 0:00) you should join during the warm up so you are ready to go when the race starts. If you are an early starter you may also wish to start during the warm-up, but you must stop pedaling before the warm up ends and will then have to sit on the start line not pedaling until the elapsed time reaches your appointed Start Time.

If you are not first off, you may wish to warm up in another session and then join the chase as the underway time reaches your appointed Start Time.

Obviously the closer you can get to your Start Time the better, but anyone starting before their appointed Start Time will be disqualified!

In the filtered live section you can see the time underway counter in the top right hand corner,

When the underway counter is getting close (I've timed this and around 10-15 seconds before should be correct) to your Start Time, start the session by clicking on the session picture, then quickly enter the password and click the Join button.

upload_2016-11-8_13-23-57.png

Anyone who joins after the start will get prompted where to join...
click No and you are straight into the ride at the start

upload_2016-11-8_13-30-51.png

Faster riders starting behind you are likely to catch you and try and pull away. Drafting should allow you to get a speed boost from them, which may help keep other riders behind for longer!

Don't forget to Save your session at the end! :banghead:

Geoff

Last edited:
OP
OP
gbrown

gbrown

Geoff on Bkool
The next Handicap Chase is Tin Can Ten Time Trial

Next run is 7pm (plus Start Time) this Tuesday 24th January 2017.

Start Times (Handicaps) are as follows... (when underway time equals or exceeds the given Start Time).

If anyone else wants to take part, can they let us know a competitive time for the stage, or failing that their fitness level and who they usually finish close to.

upload_2017-1-24_14-54-20.png

Your handicap is based on your previous times, and is used to generate a Start Time.

Like golf, the higher the Handicap the more assistance you get, so the earlier the Start Time.

Your Handicap is reduced slightly if you have only completed one chase, and reduced more if you have completed none (and your time is based on doing the stage outside the handicap format). Therefore you are rewarded for completing the handicap chase once, and rewarded more for a second one, as your time should more closely reflect your current potential.

Finally, the Handicap is also reduced slightly for those who are furthest behind the fastest time, as they have more chance of significantly improving their times. The front runners will always struggle to improve their times much, especially after a couple of runs, so they need the full Handicap to stay competitive.

This algorithm has developed across several stages (and previous Chain Gang rides) and closed the bulk of the field from around 10 minutes to around 3 minutes, and hopefully future runs will close it up again slightly.

It is always likely that the win will be taken by an early starter who improves significantly, which is probably a good thing as it improves motivation. It is also possible that any significant under performance on previous bests will result in trailing in at the back, for even the fastest riders. I don't think this can be helped. However, so long as the bulk of the entrants finish close together it should make for a more entertaining session for the majority, and make the format worthwhile.

Geoff

Last edited:

berty bassett

Legendary Member
Procedure for Chain Gang Handicap Races

You will need to be a Premium subscriber to take part in these Multi-player riders.

The session will usually start as close to the hour as possible so start times are easy to estimate, e.g. if a 7pm race warm up will start around 6:50 so the race proper starts at 7pm. However, the indicated time underway is used to determine when a handicapped rider starts, as the time underway should match or exceed the handicap before a rider starts.

Obviously the closer you can get to your start time the better, but anyone starting before their appointed handicapped start time will be disqualified!

Apart from the person starting the session (usually a group admin or appointed deputy), the riders will find the session in the live tab.

The live tab only shows the most recent 20 sessions so you should use the filter -> advanced search to find it, otherwise it will quickly drop off the end of the list.

Look for the session in the Live tab using the filter, click the right arrow (next to Apply) to get to the advanced search

upload_2015-3-26_17-30-14-png.83832.png

then search for cyclechat, chain or gang by typing it in and clicking apply

upload_2015-3-26_17-31-58-png.83835.png

The session will be password protected with "chase" (no quotes) so it should be easy to spot as it will have a padlock.

upload_2015-3-26_17-32-54-png.83836.png

If you're the first off (i.e. Handicap is 0.0) you should join during the warm up so you are ready to go when the race starts. If you are an early starter you may also wish to start during the warm-up, but you will have to sit on the start line not pedaling until the elapsed time reaches your handicap start time.

If you are not first off, you may wish to warm up in another session and then join the chase as the elapsed time reaches your handicap start time.

Anyone who joins after the start will get prompted where to join...
You can still see the time Underway underneath, so as your handicap time comes up click No and you are straight into the ride at the start

upload_2015-3-26_17-34-10-png.83837.png

Pedal like hell until the pain finally stops ... :bicycle:

Don't forget to Save your session at the end! :banghead:

Geoff
[/QUOTE]
foolproof !! ha i bet muggings here will find a way to muller it up ! thanks for all the time you are putting into this

Bonno

Guru
Don't think i'll be starting this week as CJ is still waiting for a replacement Bkool unit, and due to time restraints/family duties i'm letting him use my set-up on Thursdays till further notice.
Normal service will resume as soon as Bkool get their finger out!
Good luck with the event people. :okay:

Soarerv8

Über Member
Thanks for taking the time to do this looks like really good fun.

Whorty and Rob I suggest we get bungie cords to attach to the back of Bertie Bassetts bike, he went past me like a train yesterday.

Rod McG

Über Member
Can I please be added in?
Last Sunday I did Stage 4 with a time midway about between Bill S and Soarerv8. I'm currently Amateur 8.
Thanks,
Rod McGovern

OP
OP
gbrown

gbrown

Geoff on Bkool
Can I please be added in?
Last Sunday I did Stage 4 with a time midway about between Bill S and Soarerv8. I'm currently Amateur 8.
Thanks,
Rod McGovern

Rod, looks like you just beat Jamie (8.5), Adski (11.0) and Baldo Mero (11.0) and followed closely behind John18 (13.0) and Berty Basset (10.0), so you could slot in anywhere between 10.0 and 13.0.

How about a start with Adski and Baldo at 11.0? They're great company... ;)

Reactions: Add

Rod McG

Über Member
Rod, looks like you just beat Jamie (8.5), Adski (11.0) and Baldo Mero (11.0) and followed closely behind John18 (13.0) and Berty Basset (10.0), so you could slot in anywhere between 10.0 and 13.0.

How about a start with Adski and Baldo at 11.0? They're great company... ;)

Happy with that position!
Many thanks,
Rod

berty bassett

Legendary Member
in the interest of being honest - i am more than happy with the position you have gave me BUT i did that run with a 28mm treaded tyre at lowish pressure - since then , the errors in my ways have been pointed out and i have changed to a 23mm smooth tyre at high pressure that has helped no end . i ust thought i should say just in case

OP
OP
gbrown

gbrown

Geoff on Bkool
in the interest of being honest - i am more than happy with the position you have gave me BUT i did that run with a 28mm treaded tyre at lowish pressure - since then , the errors in my ways have been pointed out and i have changed to a 23mm smooth tyre at high pressure that has helped no end . i ust thought i should say just in case

Berty,

Looking at the starting order, I suspect you may not be the only one! It will only work well if the stage 1 times were close to personal bests.

I was going to post to ask anyone who had any issues on the stage 1 run to volunteer a more appropriate (later) start time, in the interests of keeping it close for everyone.

If you know someone you generally finish close to on a similar profile course that might be a good starting point.

If anyone else thinks they may have under-performed please let me know what starting position would be more appropriate.

These things will evolve as we repeat sessions and adjust handicaps to make for closer and closer grouping.

Thanks,

Geoff

OP
OP
gbrown

gbrown

Geoff on Bkool
Don't think i'll be starting this week as CJ is still waiting for a replacement Bkool unit, and due to time restraints/family duties i'm letting him use my set-up on Thursdays till further notice.
Normal service will resume as soon as Bkool get their finger out!
Good luck with the event people. :okay:

You could take it in turns, and you have your go at 5pm on Saturday?

Geoff

berty bassett

Legendary Member
there seems to be a running battle between John18 ,me and Adski if that helps any so free free to let some air out of their tyres at any time !

Reactions: Add
Top Bottom