Chain lube of choice?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MilkRace

Hi

Would like to hear opinions and/or suggestions as to your chain lube of choice, and why?

Must admit I'm a bit confused.....there being so many on the market.....dry, wet, PTFE.

Appreciate advice.

Thanks

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Snake oil.

Joffey

Big Dosser
Wend Wax - best thing I've ever used - my drive train is so quiet now. It lasts a good while and keeps the chain nice and clean. Oh, it smells lovely too and comes in lots of pretty colours.

winjim

Smash the cistern
The short answer is that dry lube is rubbish, any light oil is fine, wet chain lube comes in handy size bottles and that regular wiping clean and relubing is beneficial.

But... the targeted ads seem to suggest something else:
Screenshots_2018-11-30-08-04-10.png

OP
OP
MilkRace

MilkRace

Confession......Never heard of it, but just looked it up and a review in October was really impressive.

Will definitely look into this stuff......thanks for that Joffey.

Now what colour should I go with.......decisions, decisions.

Drago

Legendary Member
Gear oil applied sparingly with a syringe. It's a high pressure oil, so maintains a film even under, erm, high pressure between moving surfaces.

It's works as well as anything else I've tried, and I was given 5 gallons of the stuff some years back - good reasons to use it! It smells a bit, but if you're not into chain sniffing that's not a problem.

I'm sure liquid chain lube, or any light oil performs similarly. No matter what lube I use I grind my chains to .75 in about 1500 miles.

OP
OP
MilkRace

MilkRace

Muc-off Ceramic wet lube - most of the time
Race oil - on the race bikes
Cheers for the recommendation. Just wondering what advantage, if any, wet lube has over dry lube......probably something highly technical that I wouldn't understand anyway......or maybe its as simple as 'one's wet, one isn't'.

Alan O

Über Member
Plain old TF2 Cycle Oil. When the chain's dirty, I clean the muck off with a rag and re-lube, and it carries on working just fine. I'm just about to replace a chain after 2,000 miles (just reaching 0.75% "stretch"), and that's one that's seen a lot of off-road with mud and sand.

OP
OP
MilkRace

MilkRace

This is what I use.
You get a very quiet and smooth-runnung chain. It lasts ages and keeps the chain nice and clean.
Thanks for the link. Another one I've not heard of before.....beginning to feel like I've missed out on so much in life....!

Not sure if we could even get this here in Oz....but I'll take a look anyway and see what the reviews say about it.

Thanks again.

Drago

Legendary Member
Cheers for the recommendation. Just wondering what advantage, if any, wet lube has over dry lube......probably something highly technical that I wouldn't understand anyway......or maybe its as simple as 'one's wet, one isn't'.

Think of it this way - how many applications where lubes is critical (car engines, liquid fuelled rocket motor turbopumps, jet engines, etc) get smeared in dry lube?

Nebulous

Guru
I use Halfords bike lube with teflon. I've no idea how good or otherwise it is, but what I really like is the tight jet you get from the pump. Ideal for aiming precisely where you need it, on the pivots of the calipers, rather than the pads, for instance. Despite using it very regularly, every week on my work bike, almost every time they are out on my other two bikes, a can lasts me a long time - certainly over a year.

OP
OP
MilkRace

MilkRace

Think of it this way - how many applications where lubes is critical (car engines, liquid fuelled rocket motor turbopumps, jet engines, etc) get smeared in dry lube?
Would have to say.....I have no idea.....in answer to your question that is, however it does beg the question as to why they would make a dry lube in the first place if it didn't actually do the job?

I think I'm with you though in that it does seem strange not to have an 'oil' (if that's what it is) that isn't....well....oily...!

Top Bottom