Chain lube of choice?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
MilkRace

MilkRace

Dry lube tends to be of the waxy nature And is a terrible lube as noted before. It only lubes until it gets squeezed from the moving parts by pressure and because of its non liquid state cannot flow back in when the pressure is relieved. Your drive train will soon start making a noise.

Wet lube all year round.
I was thinking much the same but I'm sure someone will leap to the defence of dry lube....after all there must be a reason why it was developed in the first place...I assume?

Alan O

Über Member
Would have to say.....I have no idea.....in answer to your question that is, however it does beg the question as to why they would make a dry lube in the first place if it didn't actually do the job?
My usual answer to similar questions - marketing.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Plain old TF2 Cycle Oil.
TF2 for me too. Which reminds me, I need to buy some more as I have recently dribbled the last of a 1ltr bottle, bought a fair few years ago, into the smaller squeezy nozzle bottle I use for applying it.
I have covered many, many thousands of miles on different bikes (MTB/hybrid commuter/best road bike) in all conditions and always found this oil does the job. Also pretty cheap when bought 1ltr at a time - http://www.wiggle.co.uk/weldtite-tf2-performance-oil

Bottle has changed a bit since I last bought some :blush: :laugh:

It doesn't have an offensive smell? :wacko:

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
3 in One. Sorted. Bosh. Tuesday.

old_oil_cans.png

Good enough for my granddad, good enough for me.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Wow......do they still make this stuff?

Haven't seen this since I was knee high to a grasshopper....but as you say.....it worked back then so why not now?

https://3-in-one.co.uk/ I think it's made by the same company that own WD40.

I do have other brands in the Bicycle Storage Suite ( shed) but they either came free with some goody bag event package or had to buy some whilst out and I use them but 3 in One works fine. The important thing as others have said is to keep the chain clean.

Last edited:
OP
OP
MilkRace

MilkRace

Looks the bizz.....not sure what the ceramic bit is all about though.

That said....if nothing else, what I've gleaned from this thread so far is that I know very little.

Cheers Spiderweb.

si_c

Guru
Looks the bizz.....not sure what the ceramic bit is all about though.

That said....if nothing else, what I've gleaned from this thread so far is that I know very little.

Cheers Spiderweb.
I wasn't impressed with the Finish Line Ceramic stuff, it just made everything black and didn't last that long in bad weather.

I'm mostly using Muc Off wet/dry lube - the name doesn't imply that it's dry, rather it indicates the conditions in which it is intended to be used. The dry stuff is great in summer, although it does need regular reapplication - however it doesn't go black or collect dirt - so it's great in good weather.

Wet lube is great in all conditions, however it does collect dirt and much easier so a little more additional work is required to keep things clean running - I run a rag over the drivetrain at the end of most days and that seems to do the trick. Reapplication is infrequent - I last put some on a couple of weeks ago and we've had a few wet commutes since then.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
The Finish Line Dry with Teflon is more oily rather than waxy and doesn’t go black. I love it and love the smell. *Giggles*. Great for summer and in the dry

The TF2 wax samples I tried just dispersed scallops of wax all over the place so I doubt it stayed where you need it. Filthy stuff.

The TF2 wet lube (green bottle) is really similar to chainsaw oil. It lasts ages and protects the chain. It does go dark in the wet and picks up grit, but it is really easy to remove and reapply.

Chain drives are a fascination. Sorcery subject to me.

Smudge

Veteran
Gear oil, same as i use on my motorcycle chains. If i didn't have any gear oil in the shed, then i'd use car or mc engine oil.
I never use expensive specific chain oils, i dont believe they're any better than the above.

Top Bottom