Chain slipping on cassette under load

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dec66

A gentlemanly pootler, these days
On my BTwin, following a recent cassette & chain replacement, the chain is slipping on the cassette when put under load (so, for example, if I'm in too high a gear pulling away from a junction). It's as if the chain is trying to rip itself off.

LBS have adjusted grearing, cable tension etc., to no avail. He reckons it's a freehub issue, which would be annoying as the wheels and hubs (Shimano R501) don't have that many miles in them.

Would a freehub body replacement do the trick, or is it a new wheel for me?

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
Last time I had this problem after replacing both the chain and cassette, it was a worn chainring causing the problem

Is it happening on every chainring ? (assuming you have a double or triple chainset)

OP
OP
Dec66

Dec66

It's a triple, but I rarely use the inner and middle rings.

I'll try it on those and see what happens.

Cassette, most likely. But lets have a good side-on picture of that chainring. Chainrings do slip if they are very, very, very worn. Cassettes slip if a new chain is fitted to an old cassette or, if you have had a significant change in terrain where you are suddenly using a gear you have not used in many hundreds of miles. In other words, the used gears wear with the chain but when you suddenly use an unused one, the chain doesn't mesh with it.

It could of course be the freehub, but they don't fail like you've described. They slip before power is applied, now during applied power.

OP
OP
Dec66

Dec66

Cassette, most likely. But lets have a good side-on picture of that chainring. Chainrings do slip if they are very, very, very worn. Cassettes slip if a new chain is fitted to an old cassette or, if you have had a significant change in terrain where you are suddenly using a gear you have not used in many hundreds of miles. In other words, the used gears wear with the chain but when you suddenly use an unused one, the chain doesn't mesh with it.

It could of course be the freehub, but they don't fail like you've described. They slip before power is applied, now during applied power.
New chain, new cassette.

Pics later.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Is it the right chain for the cassette? No chance a 6/7/8 speed chain has been fitted to a 10 speed bike is there?

Chainrings do slip if they are very, very, very worn.
I have witnessed this 1st hand on a ride with @dan_bo when his drivetrain started slipping. After the 2nd or 3rd incident I had a look and spotted the shark fin teeth on the chainring. Once it happens the first time it doesn't take much to do it again.

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
Is it the right chain for the cassette? No chance a 6/7/8 speed chain has been fitted to a 10 speed bike is there?

I have witnessed this 1st hand on a ride with @dan_bo when his drivetrain started slipping. After the 2nd or 3rd incident I had a look and spotted the shark fin teeth on the chainring. Once it happens the first time it doesn't take much to do it again.
A season of cross'll do that.

OP
OP
Dec66

Dec66

8 speed cassette, suitable chain.

OP
OP
Dec66

Dec66

IMG_20181208_094819871.jpg
Outer chainring, looking more "peaky" than "shark finny"

IMG_20181208_094859731.jpg
Cassette

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I thought you said new cassette? Cassette looks decidedly used to me, look at the burrs at the working edge of each tooth. Chainrings are dead! Big ring and small ring should have been changed long ago. Strangely the middle chainring doesn't look as bad, maybe you should use it more.

Top Bottom