Chain slipping on cassette under load

Discussion in 'Bicycle Mechanics and Repairs' started by Dec66, 6 Dec 2018.

Tags:
  1. davidphilips

davidphilips Über Member

Well the good news is that halfords have sram pg830 cassettes for £13.28 and sram chains pc830 for £5 (all 8 speed). Chainrings can be bought on ebay or even a used chainset, Some times i am surprised how fast chains/cassettes and chainrings can wear out in bad weather.

2. This reminds me my Triban needs a new chain/cassette :okay: The inclement last month on the busway has speeded up the wear nearly 2,000miles probably didn't help either :laugh:

3. Ajax Bay

Ajax Bay Veteran

You don't seem to have answered @Threevok 's question.
    But, together with the image of the large chainring, your assertion that "rarely use the inner and middle rings" and the fact that the cassette and chain are both new, these symptoms are consistent with a worn chainring - I agree with @Threevok 's implied cause. I had exactly this earlier this year: replaced chain and knew the cassette had less than 1700km on it, so expected it to be excellent, and it carried on slipping - on the middle ring only though. Replaced middle ring and rode on - happy days.

4. OP
    OP
    Dec66

Dec66 A gentlemanly pootler, these days

Haven't had a chance to try it yet, weather and life have got in the way... I'll take a quick squirt out on it later, hopefully.

5. OP
    OP
    Dec66

OK, up and down the road in the wrong gear, and I can't replicate the issue on the middle or inner rings.

So, a new big ring it is, then.

Cheers all :okay:

Threevok likes this.
  6. Ajax Bay

Ajax Bay Veteran

:rolleyes:

7. OP
    OP
    Dec66

I know... Surprising, and disappointing, if you know who my LBS are...

8. Globalti

Globalti Legendary Member

I've seen chains slip around worn big rings like that one. There's nothing to hold them.

9. keithmac

keithmac Über Member

If your local bike shop has deemed that outer chainring ok you need to be finding a new shop!.

Yellow Saddle and I like Skol like this.
  10. OP
    OP
    Dec66

Question; can I change that outer ring without taking the crank out?

11. davidphilips

davidphilips Über Member

Yes, maybe harder than removing crank but can be done in place just 5 alan bolts just make sure the bolts are fully tightened.

Dec66 likes this.
  12. OP
    OP
    Dec66

Thanks, I thought it might be possible if I slipped the chain onto a lower ring but just wanted to check :okay:

13. Ajax Bay

Ajax Bay Veteran

As @davidphilips says, it can be done. But frankly it's much easier to fit a new large ring (on a triple) if you take off the crank (which takes 30 seconds. Otherwise it can be a faff to get assured access to the slotted nut on the middle ring side to secure that and get the bolt suitably tight. Depending on your chainring sizes the teeth of the middle ring obstruct the access you need, for some of the bolts [Edit: especially if the larger BCD is only 110mm (as opposed to 130mm)].
    Also this is an excellent opportunity to clean the chainrings and all the crevices of the cranks thoroughly. When assembling use threadlock on the chainring bolts.

Last edited: 12 Dec 2018
    Threevok likes this.
  14. NorthernSky

NorthernSky Über Member

@Dec66 did you get the issue sorted?

my chain is slipping EVERY time load is applied from a stop (at a junction or on steep hills)
    bought new chain and still happening so next step is a replacement cassette me thinks

Q. can i replace a 12-27t cassette with a 12-28t? i've just fitted the chain for the current 12-27t so may have snookered myself?

15. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe Legendary Member

No problem.

NorthernSky likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice