Chain wear

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MarkF

Guru
[QUOTE 4436661, member: 259"]Bloody hell, I'd multiply that by five at least![/QUOTE]

I am getting around to posting about my Discovery 501's 10th birthday soon, it's done well over 10000 miles, crossed countries, does the shopping and still some commuting. I clean the bike weekly and oil the chain with £ shop 3-in-1 oil, or WD40 if I can't find the oil.

It is still the original chain.

S-Express

Yes, I did mention pressure and I explained why I say it is high. You disputed it.

'High' is not a very precise term, and I get the feeling you have a penchant for precise terms. Which is why I asked you to clarify WD40's shear strength. Apparently you didn't know it, but you were still confident that it was insufficient for cycle chain purposes. Let's hope you're right. Incidentally - what level of shear strength is sufficient for cycle chain purposes???

This particular disagreement seems to centre around your assertion that WD's shear strength is not sufficient for cycle use. Despite you not knowing what that shear strength actually is. As you seem keen on experimentation, I would suggest you go off and look it up, and then compare it to the shear strengths of other, perhaps more viable alternative cycle chain lubes. Report your findings.

My 'opinion' - such as it is - is that WD is ok to use on chains, if used regularly. Despite your bluster, you have yet to prove conclusively why that is not the case.

@S-Express to be honest its c*** on a bike chain only use would be to clean it but than white spirit is cheaper, as @MarkF points out cheap 3-1 oil is sufficient regularly cleaned and reapplied (and cheaper), I change my chains about 3,000 miles all weather riding an average of 6,000+ miles a year takes its toll on equipment (though mileage has been down this last year)

Last edited:

S-Express

@S-Express to be honest its c*** on a bike chain only use would be to clean it but than white spirit is cheaper, as @MarkF points out cheap 3-1 oil is sufficient regularly cleaned and reapplied 9and cheaper), I change my chains about 3,000 miles all weather riding an average of 6,000+ miles a year takes its toll on equipment (though mileage has been down this last year)

I don't agree mate, sorry. Nothing I've ever seen suggests it is 'crap' on a bike chain. For something to be 'crap' it would have to have zero effect, or a detrimental effect and I don't see it as having either. I agree it's not ideal, but it's perfectly viable as a short term lube.

I don't agree mate, sorry. Nothing I've ever seen suggests it is 'crap' on a bike chain. For something to be 'crap' it would have to have zero effect, or a detrimental effect and I don't see it as having either. I agree it's not ideal, but it's perfectly viable as a short term lube.
The detrimental effect is in its ability as a cleaner on the oil in the rollers where the oil/lube is needed, WD40 just will not stay there as it is to thin a lubricant, its why its sold as a penetrating/water displacement oil.

S-Express

The detrimental effect is in its ability as a cleaner on the oil in the rollers where the oil/lube is needed, WD40 just will not stay there as it is to thin a lubricant, its why its sold as a penetrating/water displacement oil.

I don't understand what you mean. Any solvent-based lube (which most aerosol-based chain lubes are) will have the same effect. It is a light oil, so it will only lubricate effectively for a limited time. But being a thin oil does not mean it will not lubricate. It self evidently does 'stay there' - if it didn't then there would be a big puddle of lube under the chain - and I've never seen that.

I don't understand what you mean. Any solvent-based lube (which most aerosol-based chain lubes are) will have the same effect. It is a light oil, so it will only lubricate effectively for a limited time. But being a thin oil does not mean it will not lubricate. It self evidently does 'stay there' - if it didn't then there would be a big puddle of lube under the chain - and I've never seen that.
Maybe because like any good mechanic you wipe the chain as you apply. I will put it another way it almost likely that after a short ride it will need reapplying unlike more traditional chain oils (though its always a good idea to clean a reapply after a ride in the rain)

S-Express

I will put it another way it almost likely that after a short ride it will need reapplying unlike more traditional chain oils

Which brings me back to what I said in my first post on this thread.

S-Express

point is you might have to reapply mid ride, I certainly would have needed to yesterday the amount of rain I rode through, and it were but a short ride.

I doubt that. Let's be real, these are bicycles, not stealth fighters. The consequences of not re-lubing on a wet ride need to be weighed up against the "who gives a flying toss" factor.

I doubt that. Let's be real, these are bicycles, not stealth fighters. The consequences of not re-lubing on a wet ride need to be weighed up against the "who gives a flying toss" factor.
I give a flying toss, I can't afford a chain every 1,500 miles I can barely afford one at the intervals I currently change it so the servicing of said chain has to be the best I can do and WD40 just doesn't do it period, you weren't out in that down pour and I have only been out on a few rides much worse than it and I ride 2 out of 3 days on average so thats a lot of days with rain.

S-Express

I give a flying toss, I can't afford a chain every 1,500 miles I can barely afford one at the intervals I currently change it so the servicing of said chain has to be the best I can do and WD40 just doesn't do it period, you weren't out in that down pour and I have only been out on a few rides much worse than it and I ride 2 out of 3 days on average so thats a lot of days with rain.

Just to be clear (in case you are in any doubt) I have not recommended that you should lube your chain with WD40. I simply said that nothing particularly bad will happen if you do. If you are that concerned with chain wear (and it sounds like you are), then simply avoid riding in wet conditions.

Top Bottom