Chain wear

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gbb

Legendary Member
The old WD argument rolls on :okay:.
A few years ago I tried for myself and came to several conclusions.
Reapplied almost daily, it left the cleanest chain I ever had. Sadly the chain lasted about 800 miles while normally I'd get 1500 miles .
All good chains although not the same make, more or less the same conditions.

Take the environmental impact on top, daily spraying of WD, it hardly makes sense does it.

Very fast chain wear for me with very regular applications of WD...and yet there is another member, forgive me I can't remember who, who swears by the stuff.

S-Express

Take the environmental impact on top, daily spraying of WD, it hardly makes sense does it.

Environmental impact?

MarkF

Guru
Reapplied almost daily, it left the cleanest chain I ever had. Sadly the chain lasted about 800 miles while normally I'd get 1500 miles .

But mine has lasted 10000 miles at least, wouldn't be surprised if it was 2 or 3k more. On only £ shop oil & WD 40, something doesn't add up.

BTW The Discovery 501 has only had brake blocks in consumables in 10 years of use, it's still on the entire original drive chain, wheels and M+ tyres!

Reactions: gbb
But mine has lasted 10000 miles at least, wouldn't be surprised if it was 2 or 3k more. On only £ shop oil & WD 40, something doesn't add up.

BTW The Discovery 501 has only had brake blocks in consumables in 10 years of use, it's still on the entire original drive chain, wheels and M+ tyres!
No, your chain has not lasted for 10 000 miles, the bike has endured a worn chain by eating through all the components.

There are only two options here: either you have not cycled 10 000 miles on that chain or your drivetrain is worn beyond any sensible limits.

The third option, that of your bike being super special and made from something completely different from all other bikes on the planet is highly unlikely.

MarkF

Guru
No, your chain has not lasted for 10 000 miles, the bike has endured a worn chain by eating through all the components.

There are only two options here: either you have not cycled 10 000 miles on that chain or your drivetrain is worn beyond any sensible limits.

The third option, that of your bike being super special and made from something completely different from all other bikes on the planet is highly unlikely.

My bike is fine thank you, though not as smooth as it was, used it to Skipton (45 miles) this morning, I will be treating it to whole new drive train this winter, but doing so once every 10 years will do me. I've never touched the gears or cable either.

I'll post clear pics soon when I give it a 10 year review. it's always kept cleaned and oiled and is the same bike as arrived at my house a decade ago, apart from a new seat, a rack and many brake blocks. :okay:

Last edited:
Just to be clear (in case you are in any doubt) I have not recommended that you should lube your chain with WD40. I simply said that nothing particularly bad will happen if you do. If you are that concerned with chain wear (and it sounds like you are), then simply avoid riding in wet conditions.
My only concern about chain wear is to try and make the most of the resources I have, avoid riding in the rain which country do you live in from my records 1 in 4 days has rain that I ride in, I ride 2 out of 3 days go figure.
My chains last approx 3,000+miles they are changed at about that distance my current chain is a little over that, my cassettes I use two (with the same chain but not together) a 12-27 and a 12-23 show little wear, though I need to check the 12-27 as it has done the most miles of the two at near 5,000 miles (the 12-23 2,160 miles)
If I didn't mention it before I have ridden 22,000 miles since mid 2013, again not much chance of missing the rain in fact ridding in the rain bothers me not one jot its just a bit more maintenance, my bike is my personal transport.

Correction mid 2012

Last edited:

Levo-Lon

Guru
I think we both know what a solvent does. What's your point?

solvent removes and breaks down oil and grease...

U

User6179

My bike is fine thank you, though not as smooth as it was, used it to Skipton (45 miles) this morning, I will be treating it to whole new drive train this winter, but doing so once every 10 years will do me. I've never touched the gears or cable either.

I'll post clear pics soon when I give it a 10 year review. it's always kept cleaned and oiled and is the same bike as arrived at my house a decade ago, apart from a new seat, a rack and many brake blocks. :okay:

You still using the same tyres ?

@S-Express I know what works for the best from experience, there are not many get the distance I do for the conditions I ride in and WD40 just does not make the grade.
I have ridden 400 miles this month without even trying (tis only an average of 18 miles a day, over 21 days ) this is purely commuting mileage, yesterday I had to do a trip to the O.H. fathers in a downpour well I didn't. it just happened that whilst I was on the short 40 min ride it rained quite heavily.

S-Express

@S-Express I know what works for the best from experience, there are not many get the distance I do for the conditions I ride in and WD40 just does not make the grade.
I have ridden 400 miles this month without even trying (tis only an average of 18 miles a day, over 21 days ) this is purely commuting mileage, yesterday I had to do a trip to the O.H. fathers in a downpour well I didn't. it just happened that whilst I was on the short 40 min ride it rained quite heavily.

You don't need to justify yourself to me Nigel. I get that you don't want to use WD and I have not suggested that you should anyway.

Top Bottom