Chains, using a link extractor

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Domestique

Über Member
What is the situation with modern chains and breaking then using a link extractor?
All our bikes are 7/8 speed and whenever it has been needed to take the chain off I have always used a link extractor and had no problems. Likewise whenever I have fitted a new chain I have never used the split link that came with it, but relied on the link extrator. Btw todate i have only had one chain break in 25 years of cycling.
We now have a Ridgeback Panorama in the stable and he is a 9 speed. I am right in thinking a link extractor is the wrong tool for the job on this?
Can someone clarify what you should or shouldnt do with 7, 8 and 9 speed chains. It all seems a bit confusing :biggrin:

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Link extractors are perfectly ok on nine speed chains, that is how mine is joined on the winter hack. Not a good idea on ten as the plates are easy to damage when you join, I use a split link.

The only chain I ever had break was a nine speed with a split link.

kyuss

Veteran
I always found it a PITA splitting shimano chains using the regular link pins as you have to use a new one every time it's done which meant having a supply always at the ready or just not removing and cleaning as often as I should have. Replaced my Shimano chain with a 9 speed SRAM one a few years ago and have never looked back. SRAM and Connex split links for the win.

Top Bottom