Chainsaw and woodchipper noise from my neighbour

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
I feel like I'm living next to a bloody timber mill! It's started again for the 4th time this month. The local council said he has a permit, so apparently he can make all the noise he wants.
I can't take much more of this.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Ah, the old 'I've got a permit from the council' sketch.

Neighbour of mine pulled that one when he dumped a skip in the back lane, blocking my roller shutter door behind which he knew I kept my car.

I explained. politely, his permit did not permit him to block my garage.

This fell on deaf ears, so I rang a mate whose car has a towbar and we dragged the skip out of the way - took a bit of doing even though it was empty.

Next time I saw the neighbour I told him if he did it again, I would have two skips dumped outside his roller shutter door, behind which he keeps his car.

I explained I was aware he was a taxi driver and I would make sure I cost him at least a week of lost takings.

I'm most reluctant to speak to anyone like that, but when I do, I mean it, which I think he grasped.

Levo-Lon

Guru
I guess you will moan about the tall trees and hedges if he dont cut back...

if he's running a business from his private house then you can have it stopped..

Skips ....you call the skip company, they dont block when dropping a permit skip..

Last edited:

gbb

Legendary Member
If it's long running, excessively loud, or at an unreasonable hour, then speak to Environmental Health.
Agree but with our experience, don't expect a miracle if Peterborough EH are anything to go by. Long running problem with nearby neighbours barking dogs, complaints from several neighbours, recording equipment used, evidence collected....and still nothings happened nearly a year later despite our regular contact with them.
I suspect they're dragging their feet, government cuts and all that, reluctant to do anything that costs money.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
There's a dweeb near me who who insists on using one of those leaf blowing things either first thing in the morning or late at night. Honestly the amount of fallen leaves could be picked up by a brush and shovel. Dweeb probably hasn't worked out yet that blowing them away doesn't solve the problem. Some people just like making noise for the sake of it!:thumbsdown:

Tim Hall

Um, isn't it the OP in Australia? So referencing UK law and local authorities might not work.

I feel like I'm living next to a bloody timber mill! It's started again for the 4th time this month. The local council said he has a permit, so apparently he can make all the noise he wants.
I can't take much more of this.
I get this too. There is a dirt lane between us and a neighbour's land on the other side. He is a tree surgeon and fairly regularly is chainsawing and using the wood chipper... effectively right outside my bedroom window.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
There's a dweeb near me who who insists on using one of those leaf blowing things either first thing in the morning or late at night. Honestly the amount of fallen leaves could be picked up by a brush and shovel. Dweeb probably hasn't worked out yet that blowing them away doesn't solve the problem. Some people just like making noise for the sake of it!:thumbsdown:
My leaf blower has a 'suck' and a 'suck harder' option...

Top Bottom