Chainsaw and woodchipper noise from my neighbour

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
,Does anyone have experience of using sound level equipment to take db readings to submit to the Council ?
Sound Level Meters seem to be readily available for sub £50 prices, so I might give it a try.
Have you thought about hiring one?

Globalti

Legendary Member
Chainsaws are especially irritating because if the sharpness of the exhaust noise and the way they go on and on for several hours if it's a big tree. That's why I only use mine in the afternoons at weekends. Leaf blowers are the ultimate idiot's garden tool and chippers are irritating but not usually there for long.

Different Scale

We used to have loud teenagers on the green area next to our house

No real harm, by the level of noise and language was an issue

We quickly discovered that playing Florence Foster-Jenkins at loud volumes moved them on fairly quickly

[QUOTE 4705932, member: 9609"]I doubt the council would be interested in whatever figures you provide, I think it has to be measured very expensively by independent people specifically trained in measuring noise. Proving noise nuisance is very difficult - good luck[/QUOTE]
Yes. The people to ask about this is your council.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Unless there's more to this, surely it's not unreasonable to do fairly noisy or otherwise disruptive work for a period of time to clear an area / chop down trees, or do building work or whatever it may be. Next year the Op might be building a wall and have a cement mixer running for a fortnight and then chainsaw man would be complaining.

Fair enough complaining if he's running a wood yard from his garden, but not for renovations

sheddy

Legendary Member
I could hire a Sound Level Meter but can't predict in advance when the noise will be heard.
Really need my own instrument ready to go...

Last edited:

KnackeredBike

I do my own stunts
Plus everyone's idea of a nightmare neighbour is different. We have ten year old, well maintained cars as does the neighbour opposite. They sit their silently for the most part Unfortunately we have an estate agent one door down with some brand new repmobile who not only moans about the cars "bring down the tone of the neighbourhood" but goes round all the rest of the neighbours moaning.

Obviously I gave him some well chosen words of advice that if he valued his jaw remaining in one piece he should cease and desist. I'm sure he's moaning on some estate agent forum about his nightmare violent neighbours with old cars.

classic33

Leg End Member

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I could hire a Sound Level Meter but can't predict in advance when the noise will be heard.
Really need my own instrument ready to go...

You could of course just get an app on your phone. The council will take a much notice of that as other self taken readings.

classic33

Leg End Member
You could of course just get an app on your phone. The council will take a much notice of that as other self taken readings.
Not always the case. I've an industrial sound/db meter, and using that along with a headcam, meter in view, took that along to the local council offices for them to view.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Not always the case. I've an industrial sound/db meter, and using that along with a headcam, meter in view, took that along to the local council offices for them to view.
That sounds like it could.work.

But it also seems like a lot of work.

Would the op not just be better served, talking to mr chainsaw.

classic33

Leg End Member
That sounds like it could.work.

But it also seems like a lot of work.

Would the op not just be better served, talking to mr chainsaw.
Maybe he could talk to him. I used what I already had to hand, OP is talking about buying a sound/db meter, which might mean things have moved beyond talking.

Report it to the council and you'll be asked to keep a log of times and dates anyway.

Top Bottom