Chainsaw and woodchipper noise from my neighbour

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Maybe he could talk to him. I used what I already had to hand, OP is talking about buying a sound/db meter, which might mean things have moved beyond talking.

Report it to the council and you'll be asked to keep a log of times and dates anyway.
yeah, sorry it was more a reply to the OP than to your answer about kit.

We seem to do so much today to pass on the problem, in a passive aggressive circle of deferral, rather than either dealing with it or simply accepting that we don't care enough about it to take action.

Simple rules...

Is it really a problem?
Can it be solved?
Do I have the courage to do what is needed to solve the problem?

answer no to any of these and essentially we (the OP in this instance) are wasting everyone's time.

classic33

Leg End Member
yeah, sorry it was more a reply to the OP than to your answer about kit.

We seem to do so much today to pass on the problem, in a passive aggressive circle of deferral, rather than either dealing with it or simply accepting that we don't care enough about it to take action.

Simple rules...

Is it really a problem?
Can it be solved?
Do I have the courage to do what is needed to solve the problem?

answer no to any of these and essentially we (the OP in this instance) are wasting everyone's time.
In my case it was half a dozen Alsation bitches, being kept for breeding purposes(the pups were worth a bit) in a back garden measuring 30 X 36(feet).

He didn't want his money flow cutting, and couldn't care less about the dogs welfare so long as the money kept coming in.

Dogs bark, fact of nature. But half a dozen bitches along with pups, day in, day out?

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Ah yeah but what if, through this thread, the OP discovers within himself the courage to resolve matters?
How very Zen!

(I asked a couple of post ago if he had and haven't heard)

Alternatively, what if, through this thread, the op realises that the best way to find peace of mind is to either deal with it (and gain self satisfaction and esteem) or let it go.

That's not a dig at SUL, its just advice.

U

User33236

[QUOTE 4705932, member: 9609"]I doubt the council would be interested in whatever figures you provide, I think it has to be measured very expensively by independent people specifically trained in measuring noise. Proving noise nuisance is very difficult - good luck[/QUOTE]
I had problems with a noisy pub years ago so called EH and wrote a letter, both raised no response. I then was lucky enough to obtain some pretty decent sound measurement equipment, along with a recent calibration certification, in a blind auction of excess kit at work. I won it for the sum of £8, a fraction of its original cost.

Look some measurement one weekend and weote a report detailing readings and kit used and posted it to EH on the Monday morning along with a photocopy of the cal cert. Tuesday morning I get a call saying they wanted to arrange to take their own measurements that weekend. The act the landlord booked that weekend didnt even get past its warm up before they were shut down.

[QUOTE 4705932, member: 9609"]I doubt the council would be interested in whatever figures you provide, I think it has to be measured very expensively by independent people specifically trained in measuring noise. Proving noise nuisance is very difficult - good luck[/QUOTE]
A lot of Councils have signed up to The Noise App. This allows complainants to send recordings to the council from their phone.

With regard to the OP, do you know what your neighbour is doing? Is he (I'm assuming it's a he) just clearing his overgrown garden or is he running a business from home that involves the regular use of chainsaws and chippers? If it's the former at least the end will be in sight. If he is running a business, then it could go on in which case you should contact environmental health. There is no such thing as a permit that allows a person to make as much noise as they like.

Last edited:

classic33

Leg End Member
No, you weren't @jonny jeez was talking to the OP, and you quoted his post and said that the OP was buying a sound metre. You are definitely mixing up two different posters.

It makes it very confusing.
Which was cleared up/corrected after I'd posted. If you read the post before yours it's made clear to who he was reffering.

Which was cleared up/corrected after I'd posted. If you read the post before yours it's made clear to who he was reffering.

No, it's not.

You replied JJ who was addressing the OP (this term is not ambiguous, it means the Original Poster, ie Shut Up Legs) and you refer to the OP, yet you are quoting something the OP never said.
Maybe he could talk to him. I used what I already had to hand, OP is talking about buying a sound/db meter, which might mean things have moved beyond talking.

Report it to the council and you'll be asked to keep a log of times and dates anyway.
So it's not clear.

Which post have you explained that your use of OP refers to a random other poster you quoted half a dozen posts before?

Look, you just assumed that the person looking for a metre was the same person who started this thread. We all do stuff like that. You just seem weirdly reluctant to admit you did so.

classic33

Leg End Member
No, it's not.

You replied JJ who was addressing the OP (this term is not ambiguous, it means the Original Poster, ie Shut Up Legs) and you refer to the OP, yet you are quoting something the OP never said.

So it's not clear.

Which post have you explained that your use of OP refers to a random other poster you quoted half a dozen posts before?

Look, you just assumed that the person looking for a metre was the same person who started this thread. We all do stuff like that. You just seem weirdly reluctant to admit you did so.
Read back a bit. I then quoted a post, which as far as noise measurement goes is as valid a method in Australia as here, which was corrected in the next post. Prior to your post.

It's there in the quoted post, which you mentioned.

sheddy

Legendary Member
OK I fess up - I'll try to join an existing thread if possible, rather than starting a new one.

Thanks for all your advice on noise measurements and sorry for any confusion.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Not that any of this really matters to anyone, except perhaps those anguishing about stuff on others' behalf in a zen-like but slightly controlling manner of course.
Can you please clarify to which posts this comment refers to. It sounds like a general insult to those actually offering advice and I cant see how it helps or adds to the thread. In fact, ironically it comes across as controlling in itself.

please clarify, or delete the insult

Top Bottom