Change of tactics for winter?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'm inclined to prefer riding further in the winter than the summer. In summer, the bike can usually be left uncleaned after a ride; in winter, I invariably rinse the crud from the near-permanently wet roads off and then dry it, the latter part of which is, to me, a faff, so longer rides give me a better ratio of riding time to bike cleaning time.Getting kitted up for riding also takes a bit longer in winter so the same thing applies. i.e. the per ride overhead is higher so I tend to ride for longer to make it more worthwhile.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
[QUOTE 4513748, member: 9609"]if you don't like the thread or if you think you are too high brow for it don't join in.[/QUOTE]
Did CC get out of bed the wrong side this morning?
I made a valid contribution, insulted nobody and been derided for it. What answer would you like me to give?

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Only pros have to go out and do long miles in crappy conditions cos they are paid to. The rest of us can pretty much do whatever we feel like which is grand :smile:

What about if we're been diagnosed as being OCD cyclists though?:tongue:
You now. Like those who have to clean their house for 15 hours a day, but ride incessantly instead.

johnnyb47

Guru
I was just thinking of going out for a ride but the heavens have opened up again. The bikes staying put I'm afraid.

Mrs M

Guru
Rain was bouncing down all day yesterday :rain:
Heavy rain forecast for later today so managed to get a ride out this morning before it dings down again.

Nomadski

I Like Bikes
Did CC get out of bed the wrong side this morning?
I made a valid contribution, insulted nobody and been derided for it. What answer would you like me to give?

Your first two responses were purely dismissive, not a contribution at all. Someone wanted to discuss something, and you told them it was pointless. @User9609 was quite right.

I like long steady winter rides, wrap up well in the thermal gear, steady riding means I don't get too much of a sweat on so staying comfortable throughout the ride, do twenty to thirty miles , back home, hot shower then feet up and relax in the knowledge I have had a good ride.

My big issue when winter riding is I'm cold at the start, so I load up with good winter clothes, then within 10 miles I'm roasting so have to take half of it off and carry it...#clothinghassles.

Last edited:

Mrs M

Guru
Your first two responses were purely dismissive, not a contribution at all. Someone wanted to discuss something, and you told them it was pointless. @User9609 was quite right.

My big issue when winter riding is I'm cold at the start, so I load up with good winter clothes, then within 10 miles I'm roasting so have to take half of it off and carry it...#clothinghassles.
I try to get warm before I go out, put clothes over radiator to warm them up, drink coffee, etc :smile:

Jimidh

Veteran
My big issue when winter riding is I'm cold at the start, so I load up with good winter clothes, then within 10 miles I'm roasting so have to take half of it off and carry it...#clothinghassles.[/QUOTE]

Don't know it's an option for you but when it gets really cold I'll sit on the turbo on the garage and warm up for 10-15 minutes before I go out.

Top Bottom