Change of tactics for winter?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brandane

Legendary Member
My current riding habit is to go for one or two rides per week, but I tend to think that anything under 20 miles is hardly worth the effort of getting the bike out, throwing on some suitable clothing, and showering afterwards. In reasonable weather it's not so bad, and the rides tend to extend way beyond 20 miles once I'm actually out, but obviously the further I go, the more of my day is taken up by cycling.

This morning though I did a pleasant but short 7 mile local circuit. Threw on yesterdays clothes beforehand which can now go into the pile of dirty washing, and I did it early so pre morning shower anyway. It only took up 30 minutes at the start of the day. So my thought now is to get out more often, but do shorter rides. I only usually work 2 days per week (long days though, up to 15 hours plus 1.5 hours traveling) so I could ride 5 days per week. Getting wet would be less of a problem if it's only 30 minutes and the thought of a hot shower afterwards! I'm not ruling out longer winter rides if the weather plays ball, but I like the idea of getting out for a short ride as a minimum.

My decision, I know; but just wondered if others prefer regular but short and sweet - or less often but longer?

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Does it matter?

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Yes. I as good as stopped doing longer rides last winter (4hr+ club run for example) and instead mostly kept <2hrs on the road* and around 1hr on turbo**

* Shorter ride working harder and staying warmer
** Usually a lap of Watopia on Zwift

I mixed it up with some MTB and CX stuff for something different, again not really more than 2hrs

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I'll take anything, but longer rides tend to be weekend all day or half day ones, using the other weekend day for other tasks.

The problem with early morning winter rides is that ice often doesn't melt until ten o'clock or so here, and the ice bike is fairly annoying unless it's full on solid ice, so lunchtime rides become the norm.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I've always preferred say four 20 to 30 miles rides a week, to two 50 or 60's or even one big 100 miles as some do with the local CTC I know some can only manage one ride out a week so they do as many miles as possible, but to me it's like having a four hour soak in the bath then not washing for the rest of the week.:smile:

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Does it really matter?

Thread closed because Fab Foodie thinks it doesn't matter!:stop:
Austin-Locksmith.png

Attachments

• Austin-Locksmith.png
    Austin-Locksmith.png
    64.6 KB · Views: 23
  • Austin-Locksmith.png
    Austin-Locksmith.png
    64.6 KB · Views: 21

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Apparently.
With quite strong feeling too ....

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
It matters to me; or I wouldn't have posted. But there's always one.... Thanks for farking up what I thought was a reasonable thread.
Never mind, let's get back to useful stuff like..... errrm, well nothing actually. Does any of it REALLY matter?
Nothing really matters. If you want to ride your bicycle, ride it where you like.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
It's difficult staying out long in winter as sweaty clothes will eventually get cold. So rides of 2 hours or less usually make sense.

Top Bottom