Changed rear inner tube, now pedals click as I pedal

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fairyhedgehog

I've had two punctures in three weeks and both times I managed to change the inner tube myself, although I struggled with the gears, but both times either immediately afterwards or within a few days I've found the pedals clicking as I go.

I have an Ariel Sport Disc Step Through, with 27 gears.

Both times I had to lie the bike upside down on the lawn to get the wheel off, and it was a bit of a struggle, and I wasn't sure I'd got it back perfectly although it seemed to work fine. The first time it started clicking some days later, but it was due a service and there was no clicking when it came back from the shop.

This time, the pedals seemed to be clicking straight away and I'm wondering what I've done wrong and what I can do about it. Both brakes and gears work OK, except for the clicking.

I'm going to get a puncture-resist tyre for the back wheel and I'm guessing when the shop fits it they can sort out the clicking. I'd like to know what I did wrong though and how not to do it again.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I had that click and it turned out the pedals were loose. Give it a try.

Remember the non drive side has reversed thread.

Globalti

Legendary Member
You really need to give s better description of that clicking. For example, does it happen if you pedal while standing up?

Dave 123

Legendary Member
If and when you remove your rear wheel in future, always make sure that the chain is on the smallest cog at the rear of the bike.

There's loads of videos on the internet to show how to do basic cycle maintenance like changing a tube. It's not usually a struggle to drop the wheel out, and it's usually easier if the bike is the right way up.

You've got a relationship with a bike shop, the one you had it serviced in. Take the bike in there, say "it keeps making a clicky noise since I changed the tube, can you tell me what I did wrong?". I'd be very surprised (assuming they aren't busy when you go in) if they don't give you a quick lesson in removing and replacing the rear wheel.

I found a really good video, but I don't have the strength to hold my bike in one hand and drop the wheel out with the other!

I always flip my bike over, I'd never get the wheel back that way.

vickster

Legendary Member
If I recall, you got the bike from Pearsons, the workshop lads are very helpful, as above, I'm sure they'd take a look and give you a hand. If too far, Fudges would do so too.

I'm certainly no mechanic as @jefmcg will attest, but I'm working in Epsom today and happy to have a look at lunchtime (office behind Odeon)...if Fudges can't help (which I'm sure they will :smile: )

Top Bottom