Changed rear inner tube, now pedals click as I pedal

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I found a really good video, but I don't have the strength to hold my bike in one hand and drop the wheel out with the other!
Good grief, that's one heavy bike !

OP
OP
fairyhedgehog

fairyhedgehog

You've got a relationship with a bike shop, the one you had it serviced in. Take the bike in there, say "it keeps making a clicky noise since I changed the tube, can you tell me what I did wrong?". I'd be very surprised (assuming they aren't busy when you go in) if they don't give you a quick lesson in removing and replacing the rear wheel.

Good plan. Thank you!

I always flip my bike over, I'd never get the wheel back that way.

That's a relief! I thought it was just me!

OP
OP
fairyhedgehog

fairyhedgehog

If I recall, you got the bike from Pearsons, the workshop lads are very helpful, as above, I'm sure they'd take a look and give you a hand. If too far, Fudges would do so too.

I'm certainly no mechanic as @jefmcg will attest, but I'm working in Epsom today and happy to have a look at lunchtime (office behind Odeon)...if Fudges can't help (which I'm sure they will :smile: )

That's really kind! It seems to be OK at the moment. I'm wondering if it's when I'm not pedalling fast enough, and there's a bit of slack. I was in Fudges today to get new tyres - so I don't keep getting punctures! - but I forgot about the clicking.

I did check everything everyone had suggested and there was nothing obvious. If it continues, I'll pop back and see if Fudges can help.

OP
OP
fairyhedgehog

fairyhedgehog

Is it a click for each pedal rotation? If it's a click per wheel rotation it might be the magnet swiping the body of your computer pick-up (assuming you have one).
It varies - one or two clicks per rotation. I use my phone and ViewRanger for speed and distance etc. so I don't have a pickup.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
I found a really good video, but I don't have the strength to hold my bike in one hand and drop the wheel out with the other!
Try holding it from the rear rack if you have one, then slide the wheel under.
I use a stand at home, on the road I put the back on the side, the non drive one or you'll risk bashing the derailleur.
What ever way you use, stand the bike and give the wheel a good pull to sit it in the dropouts before you tighten the quick release.

Top Bottom