Changing jobs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've been in my job for 8 years and have slowly become more bored and disinterested in it. Thing is, I'm petrified of working somewhere else in case it's worse! Has anyone else had this dilemma?

Who has stuck it out, convincing themselves that they are lucky to have a stable job and work with nice people. And who has gone off to seek pastures new?
I've found myself in the same boat as you find yourself in now, once or twice. If it's a case of 'better the devil you know, than the one you don't' remember it's still a devil. Take a deep breath and bail out now, if you're totally bored, it isn't going to get any better. If you like the people / firm, have a word with the HR lot, and see if there are any other roles with vacancies at the place you're working at at present.

MarkF

Guru
Funny how people view things, this topic has cropped up loads of times, there are worriers and non worriers the latter just leave a position where the enjoyment has gone without a backward glance.

I've switched careers/jobs a fair few times and my life didn't fall apart, my legs didn't drop off or owt. But l'm a non worrier and cannot imagine forfeiting "life" to stay in employment that l didn't enjoy.

I'd been in the same sector for about 20 years, (10 years at last place), then left 4 years ago, (constructively forced out really), but I jumped when an opportunity in a completely different sector arose as it gave me a quick exit.

I've ticked along since, established myself in what I do and assumed responsibility etc as and when it's come along. Overall I'm good at what I do, but I don't particularly enjoy it.

Recently I've started to resent the way my last employment ended, (long, long story), and now find myself wondering what if I'd stuck it out, ridden the wave of $hite that came my way. As it happens I'd have come out the other side smiling, but I didn't know that at the time.

I'm now trying to get back into the old sector I was in, but after only 4 years it's proving much harder than I ever anticipated.

I don't know if any of that helps or hinders but it is what it is and it seemed worth saying, (to me at least) ;)

I am in a similar position to you but my choices are different, to maintain the lifestyle I lead with the family I need to step up and get a promotion (difficult as I have limited experience in the more complex areas of finance) or consider taking a big paycut to remain at the same level as I am well paid compared to industry average.

I am good at my job, it's close to home, they look after cyclists well and the work/life balance is great. I enjoy the remuneration but as life goes on I do find myself envious of the older generation who own a detached house (ours is semi) and seem to be content with where they are what they are doing. I am proud of the level I am at as I rub shoulders with much older peers more experienced than me on a daily basis. I am generally content and happy to learn from peers but I do seek a new challenge so I have my CV written up.

I am just waiting like a heron in the lake to apply for vacancies which suit me. It is a long game with positions few and far between.

vickster

Legendary Member
I left a company after 13 years. The job I moved to (headhunted) didn't work out and I was made redundant after 18 months (small company, growth, role changed)

I've now been contracting since (limited company), a fairly niche part of a larger industry, coming up for 2 years. I earn more (even taking no holidays, pension etc into account). On paper I earn about 40-50% more

I have no stress other than that which is a normal part of doing the job (I have to do no BD, no management, no politics, all of the things I'd have to deal with in a permanent role). .

I'm glad I did it, despite the lack of security (but I've had no periods without work except holidays), I've a new contract starting in September after finish a summer contracting at the company I left initially. I could have extended and an old boss offered me a 6 month contract elsewhere on Friday (turned down as I've signed elsewhere but we will discuss a subsequent contract)

I have no family to support, a very small mortgage etc, so it's a no brainer for me. Others mileage may vary

And

Fun sponge
I've been in my job for 8 years and have slowly become more bored and disinterested in it. Thing is, I'm petrified of working somewhere else in case it's worse! Has anyone else had this dilemma?

Who has stuck it out, convincing themselves that they are lucky to have a stable job and work with nice people. And who has gone off to seek pastures new?
As my wife said, unless you do it (change jobs) you'll never know, and if you don't like the change, change back - she also said do it and regret it, don't regret not doing it. She said this just as I was agonising over a job change. So I changed and have never looked back. Worked for me.

Assess the costs (the cost to you, not necessarily financial). The long term cost of staying v the cost of changing.

OP
OP
E

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Thanks all, this should have been in the personal section by the looks of it! But some very good points made. I work for the NHS, more specifically in research. I have the NHS redeployment safety net which is why I'm reluctant to leave, it's very hard to get back in as internal applicants are given first dibs. Pharmaceutical companies have headhunted colleagues before, but much of it is home based or involves being a study monitor and travelling all over the country. A big part of what's keeping me here is the convenience and my co-workers who I get along really well with.

I will keep looking around, and if I get to the point where I'm thoroughly miserable then I will start applying for relevant jobs. "Better the devil you know" is a mantra I've lived by for a long time since I've had a family.

Saluki

World class procrastinator

I loathe my job. I am bored to tears and actively looking. I had an interview last night with a 2nd interview to come. I have 2 interviews lined up for Thursday and another one for Monday coming.

I am off work this morning and seriously considering taking the day to look around the employment agencies of Lincoln. I'll have a quick shower and then decided I think.

Top Bottom