Changing jobs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I've been in my job for 8 years and have slowly become more bored and disinterested in it. Thing is, I'm petrified of working somewhere else in case it's worse! Has anyone else had this dilemma?

Who has stuck it out, convincing themselves that they are lucky to have a stable job and work with nice people. And who has gone off to seek pastures new?

JoshM

I could have written exactly the same I'm currently osscilating between being happy to stay because its safe and secure and being desperate to get away. I'm currently job hunting on the basis that if I throw out enough applications, if something sticks its because its meant to.

I'm not sure staying simply because its easy is really the right thing to do. Especially in my line of work.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Perhaps the more important question is 'what would you rather do?'

If you don't know the answer to this then perhaps give yourself a slap, get a grip, and get on with enjoying the rest of your fortunate life.

If you do have a burning ambition or desire to do something specific then either make it happen or...... you know the rest.

D

Deleted member 26715

You don't say your age or your commitments, I have a couple of times in the past picked up my things, told the boss I no longer want to work there & walked out of the door & that was with kids & a mortgage. Now at the age of 57 I would love to do that again, I like my job, I just hate the decisions or more to the point lack of decisions & direction being handed out from above. However I feel the only people who would suffer would be the wife & myself.

screenman

Legendary Member
I have not had a job for 41 years, or since before I was 20 years old, before that I had 32 different one's, sticking one for a couple of months was an achievement.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I've made a jump twice, always to something better. It's the only sane choice if you're unhappy. The first time I did it was the most worrying... I left the military to go into a commercial company, choosing to turn down an extended term, a promotion, and a slightly better pension. To be honest I'd become very stale and bored and I thought I'd enjoy the challenges of the private / commercial world better, so I took my resettlement entitlements, retrained, and went applying for jobs. I went with the second job that I was offered. I think I was fairly lucky, and that one could have gone wrong given that I was on a fixed term and I chose to end it.
I then made a jump once more (early this year), I'd worked for nearly 5 years at that company and was getting bored (and a little frustrated at not being paid what I knew I was worth). It took about two years of looking, plus a few knock backs at interviews, but I eventually made the move to a bigger company with a 40% better salary, better perks, and a more interesting role. So yes, you absolutely should try for something else. No-one ever made their lot substantially better by staying at the same job. The really significant gains in satisfaction and remuneration can only come when you move to someone new who values what you're bringing.

And you needn't be reckless about it, you're in a good starting position by being in a stable job and by recognising that it's not all you want, so you at least have the luxury of looking for the next move; As I mentioned, it could take a little while, but brush up on selling your skills and marketing yourself and something will come along. There will be a couple of knockbacks for sure (the numbers applying for good roles will see to that), but don't let them get you down... persevere and go and grab it.

Levo-Lon

Guru
I'll take a wild stab and guess your 40...45 and your thinking what If?

It will pass but if your really board then maybe it's time to try a new role..

I packed up not having a job for 33 years last year ( screenman) tho being self employed for 33 years sure felt like feckin hard work to me lol...

I like my new job ,But it boars me rigid some days...ive had a really bad shoulder for months and I can happily do my new job without too much trouble.
If I'd been doing my old self employed job I'd be in big trouble..no work or money, so for that I'm truly grateful to have my new job.

OP
OP
E

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
You don't say your age or your commitments, I have a couple of times in the past picked up my things, told the boss I no longer want to work there & walked out of the door & that was with kids & a mortgage. Now at the age of 57 I would love to do that again, I like my job, I just hate the decisions or more to the point lack of decisions & direction being handed out from above. However I feel the only people who would suffer would be the wife & myself.
I am 36, wife and 3 kids. I've worked my way up to earning 22k which will increase to 28k in 5 years time. I don't think I could earn the same doing anything else, and as you say, it's not only me who would be affected if the happiness in work or the pay took a cut. Leadership, or rather bullying from above is the main issue. I am not directly affected (luckily) but others around me are and it is often upsetting. Not to mention the fact that it could be me on the redundancy list in a years time. And when I say "redundancy list", I mean "bullied out of the job with no adherence to HR procedure, UK law or ethics".

OP
OP
E

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Perhaps the more important question is 'what would you rather do?'
That's a good way to look at it. The answer is, I don't know. I don't want to re-train and I work in a very specific sector. But I often hear people saying life is too short to stay in a job you don't like. Then again life is too short to be too skint to enjoy it

OP
OP
E

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Isomeone new who values what you're bringing.
That's the main point. I think firstly I need to tell myself that I am capable of other (not necessarily better) things. I don't want more money, it would just be a bonus, but I'd like to work hard doing something I enjoy. Or am I asking too much?! I suppose it's a personality thing. Some people settle for much lower standards than others would.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
That's a good way to look at it. The answer is, I don't know. I don't want to re-train and I work in a very specific sector. But I often hear people saying life is too short to stay in a job you don't like. Then again life is too short to be too skint to enjoy it
I'm not saying this is you, but some people are never satisfied. The grass is always greener and people are always looking for a bigger, better, newer car, a different house, more exciting job, more interesting partner, etc.
Maybe, instead of chasing that illusive concept of 'happiness' we should be trying to find contentment with what we already have and what we do. Other things aren't always better, even when they can look that way from outside, and often the realisation dawns that what you already have is pretty great, so why not just get on with enjoying your life as it is?

On the other hand, if it is really shoot where you are working and there is just no job/life satisfaction to be had there then it could be time to move on......

OP
OP
E

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Iwe should be trying to find contentment with what we already have
Yup, this is what I mean about the fine line between contentment and ambition. My ambition was to be content, so I guess I have achieved that. If I look at the facts, they do all stack in my favour: Close to home, enough money to live on, secure job, pension, working with (some) nice people. You have convinced me that my fear of moving jobs is justified.

screenman

Legendary Member
I moved on too better things for my family, I came way back down the list, think what may be best for them.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Yup, this is what I mean about the fine line between contentment and ambition. My ambition was to be content, so I guess I have achieved that. If I look at the facts, they do all stack in my favour: Close to home, enough money to live on, secure job, pension, working with (some) nice people. You have convinced me that my fear of moving jobs is justified.

And yet, you also say there's bullying going on which upsets you while not yet directly affecting you, but also that this bullying behaviour could possibly impact your role if you're not careful. Without a shadow of a doubt, I'd be looking to move if it was me. I think you're undervaluing yourself and I'm not sure I would ever be content in that position. Sure, it's not all about money, but if you're in a niche role then you're almost certainly a lot more in demand than you think you are, and other employers could well be willing to treat you much better in order to have you on the team. You are at your most powerful in your work life when you're experienced, with a lot to offer, and ready to move on (as opposed to having just been forced out!).

What's the niche role if you don't mind me asking?

Top Bottom