Changing rear cassette

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
ok - so you guys are helping me out with some good advice, but i need some more...

my new bike is a compact 50/34 front 12/15 rear 8speed cassette.....shimano 2300 sti

can i change the rear cassette to a SRAM 11-30 8 speed cassette.........

Thanks guys

Zoiders

12-15?

Only 4 sprockets?

JonnyBlade

Live to Ride
I put a 32 on a 9 speed and it's almost a pleasure travelling uphill
thumbsup.png
Actually it's a spinners paradise !!!!!!

OP
OP
J

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
i'm really not sure what rear gearing i need yet as i havent done my usual hill climb on this bike........

its considerably lighter than my MTB and i'm also half a stone lighter as well cmpared to 3 weeks ago when i last did that climb, so i'm hoping the 12/25 will be ok

al-fresco

Growing older but not up...
i'm really not sure what rear gearing i need yet as i havent done my usual hill climb on this bike........

I find "known" hills much easier to manage than "new" ones, which means, I guess, that a lot of hill climbing is in my head rather than in my legs.

On my road bike my lowest gear is 36 front/25 rear and I keep saying I'm going to do something about it - but this week I rode my old MTB again and thought "what the hell do I need this many gears for?" - so I think maybe I'll just get used to it...

pubrunner

Legendary Member
I find "known" hills much easier to manage than "new" ones, which means, I guess, that a lot of hill climbing is in my head rather than in my legs.

On my road bike my lowest gear is 36 front/25 rear and I keep saying I'm going to do something about it - but this week I rode my old MTB again and thought "what the hell do I need this many gears for?" - so I think maybe I'll just get used to it...

You can cycle up the Bath Banks to Selattyn, on 36/25 ? :eek: :eek: :eek:

For the ride that I did on Sunday, I'd never have coped with 36/25. The highest gearing on any of my road bikes, is 34/25.

For around Oswestry, to venture into the hills, I'd be looking at 34/28 - as a minimum.

pubrunner

Legendary Member

I'm surprised at this comment, 'cos I prefer it t'other way round.

Whilst cycling in Yorkshire at the weekend, I was actually glad that I wasn't aware of what hills I'd be climbing.

To give an analogy, running my 1st marathon was easier mentally, than subsequent ones; 'cos I was running in ignorance of the pain that I'd be in. In the following marathons, I knew that I'd expect to suffer from 20 miles onwards.

Top Bottom