changing tyres and tubes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sandra6

Veteran
How long, roughly, would it take you to pop both your wheels off and change the tubes and tyres?
Depending on the answers I may or may not tell you how long it took me:laugh:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Oh dear... c'mon... fess up ^_^

Reactions: 4F

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
First time I put marathon pluses on my bike I had done one tyre in 30 minutes.

First time I tried to put the marathon ice tyres on, I gave up and went to the lbs to get them to do it.

Two tyres and tubes, ten minutes tops

Removal: three seconds for both wheels, with a Stanley Knife so I didn't have to remove the wheel. Sometimes it just takes brain power...

Putting them back on after fixing the puncture was a bastard. I couldn't find in the instructions how to keep the air in where I'd made the cut.

I had to buy new ones.

I think the problem lies in the design.

Depends on the tyre - but about 5 mins to get the wheel off, take the tyre off, take the tube out, check for (and remove) embedded glass in the tyre, put a new tube in, fit the tyre, check for potential pinch punctures, inflate the tube and refit the wheel........then do it all again when I realise I've missed checking the rotation direction!! :wacko:

I taught our children (because I'm horrid) to change tyres on things like Conti Gatorskins and Vittoria Rubinos on 700c rims.

Whilst these are not Marathon PlusAttitude My-Tyres-Are-Stronger-Than-Yours Geekology Specials, they can still behave in a threatening way towards digits, nails and self-esteem.

Imagine, then, the surprise of one of my brood when asked to change the tube in a folding Maxxis Ignitor on an old MTB wheel.

It fell off the rim like well-roast chicken tumbling away from the bone. She really just looked at it and frowned and off it fell.

And our pet cat could have popped it back on. With one paw tied behind his back. Blindfold.

There are tyres and tyres, as my children now appreciate.

But not my cat, as my mention of him was hypothetical. He is not interested in bicycles.

OP
OP
Sandra6

Sandra6

Veteran
It took me half an hour, but I've since learned a trick which would've saved me atleast ten.
I really struggle to get the last bit of tyre in place - and I do have a sore thumb, which made it trickier.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
It took me half an hour, but I've since learned a trick which would've saved me atleast ten.
I really struggle to get the last bit of tyre in place - and I do have a sore thumb, which made it trickier.
My first ever Marathon plus, a brand new one, took me one hour.
Had to have a coffee break in between fitting the tyre and inflating it :sweat:

Top Bottom