changing tyres and tubes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
Last week I fitted 2 new 20" Duranos to my Trice and it took me 20 minutes trying to fit the first one before I had to admit defeat and ask Mrspoves to help. I know how to do it but my knackered shoulders just can't do it. Although the Duranos have a good level of puncture protection (I hope!!!!) I have now added a can of tyre weld to my tool kit for if I am traveling solo. The new tyres certainly roll better than the crappy old Raleigh Record (as used to be fitted to Raleigh Shoppers!) tyres that were on it.

TheJDog

dingo's kidneys
The last pair of Duranos I fitted, I swear one took me an hour to get on. My hands ached for a week. The other one slipped on with the tiniest of tweaks from a lever. It's just luck.

Psycolist

NINJA BYKALIST
I must have used, or at least tried out, about 10 different sorts of tyres on my families bikes over the last 2 years or so. I've never found my marathons to be any harder/easier than any other model tyre to fit and remove. I use Kenda's, alternative Schwalbe's and Continentals. I'm sure its a skill that gets easier with practice, but removal and replacement with re-inflation, 5-6 mins per wheel. Obviously longer if there is a puncture to mend.

SWSteve

Guru
I put a folding tyre n yesterday, it took around 5 miuntes for it to be 'round' and one side of it to be on the rim, after that it was plain sailing. However it isn't any of the super tough tyres you guys have mentioned

MickeyBlueEyes

Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat.
I put a folding tyre n yesterday, it took around 5 miuntes for it to be 'round' and one side of it to be on the rim,

My technique used to incorporate inflating it in stages at about 10/15 PSI a time, then check for roundness, if needed then jiggle it a little until happy then continue. Now though, as long as i know its not pinching the tube between the rim and bead just inflate to around 80 and then check, I reckon 99 times out of a hundred it will have bedded in its own roundness, once checked continue to pressure required.

Davidc

Guru
I was timed at 4 minutes 30 when I did a rear wheel with QR, in the rain, using a replacement tube and a CO2 inflator. That was a standard marathon, and I was timed by its owner - who is doing her own if it ever happens again!

I'd normally allow about 10 minutes per wheel.

tiswas-steve

Über Member
Indoors on my own with no one watching prob just under ten mins, out on a ride with ya mates standing over you, taking the p**s, about a week......

I got my own back today !! Both my two ride-mates punctured, did I take the rise ? Hell yeaaaa !!

Top Bottom