Charge plug for £299.99? WIGGLE!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

henryst

I've just bought a 2010 Charge plug from wiggle for £299.99, that must be the best quality bike at that price ever!

Roadrunner78

I've been debating getting one myself.

Howard

Bit overweight, and be careful with the paint - it's made of cheese and melts...in the winter - but otherwise yes, a great bargain.

Gav2000

Über Member
But £299 is a very good price though!

I saw Wiggle were having a sale (and one where there was actually some stock of bikes in sensible sizes) and got myself a Felt Curbside for £349. I noticed the Plug was reduced while I waited for delivery of the Felt but have been really pleased with my purchase since it arrived. The lighter weight was probably my deciding factor.

Either way though the prices were really good and well reduced from the list prices.

Gav.

OP
OP
H

henryst

mine was delivered yesterday and the first thing I did was take off the bull bars and replace them with straight bars (preference) and also take off the back brake and flip it to fixed. It rides really well and feels solid - it is steel! I couldn't be happier at that price.

Roadrunner78

I'm very close to buying one now. I just look at what else is out there at that price. Some say it's heavy,
I cycle to and from work with a backpack containing a laptop with a 15.4" screen at a steady 15+mph! Check out oragamist see if it's slow lol.

crumpetman

If a bike is around 10kg then some people would class that as heavy. My bike is about that weight and it does not feel heavy to me unless I have a ton of stuff in the saddlebag. I imagine that once you get used to riding something weight 8kg or even less that a 10kg bike does feel heavy.

OP
OP
H

henryst

I was riding a custom conversion built around an aluminium MTB frame that came in at 7.8kg so the charge minus the bits above is about 9.8kg but to be honest I hardly notice the difference. What I have noticed is the tyres/rims. I had 700c/23's on my last and on the charge they are 700c/28's which obviously give a bit more road contact needing more fuel (my energy!) to travel. If I can get away with slimmer tyres on these rims then I will when I get the inevitable puncture. Incidentally does anyone know if I can fit slimmer tyres on the charge rims (Alex DM18, silver, alloy, 700c, ANOD. W/CNC sidewall, 14Gx32H)? Any help - greatly appreciated.

BigSteev

Incidentally does anyone know if I can fit slimmer tyres on the charge rims (Alex DM18, silver, alloy, 700c, ANOD. W/CNC sidewall, 14Gx32H)? Any help - greatly appreciated.

*wanders off to find old set of Plug wheels and a 700c x 23 tyre* - Yep, that seems to work.

And I reckon it'll feel a lot quicker as the Kenda tyres that come on the Plug don't really do it any favours.

eldudino

Bike Fluffer
I was looking at it last night and my wife said "Three hundred quid, is that all?!", so it seems her scale of value has shifted to that of the cyclist now! :biggrin:

She then went on to say it looked overly simple, I pointed out that was entire the point of the bike! I'd have one if I had the money but I've just had a new bike so it's out of the question, even though it's cheap as chips.

Howard

perfect for a bit of cold setting and grafting on an 11- or 8-speed alfine/nexus perhaps?

Would be cool but I think you'd be better off getting a Tap in the sales or an On-one Pomp - less effort, similar price, lighter and more flexible platform.

Top Bottom