Charge plug for £299.99? WIGGLE!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Origamist

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 1225723"]
Fancy selling the bull bars?
[/quote]

I'd pass on the own brand Charge bull horns if I were you.

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=th9S2Dpq954

@Greg, I'm thinking about getting a discounted 2010 Langster and putting in a Sturmey Archer S2C hub. It's a kickback hub with direct drive in low and +38% in high. Would be great for commuting as you could have a 60" low and 83" high...Obviously, if it was hillier you could gear down further. No cables to worry about and no need to fit a rear brake. The only downside is the thing is heavy...

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Would be cool but I think you'd be better off getting a Tap in the sales or an On-one Pomp - less effort, similar price, lighter and more flexible platform.

the pomp just does not float my boat, but I'm liking origamist's idea of the sturmey.

I don't care if it weighs a ton; the weight of the hub is more than offset by my own bloated body!

That youtube clip has set me wondering, but then the only time I've had bars 'go' I've been ignoring the creaking sound for a little bit.

OP
OP
H

henryst

Sorry User - i missed your post. I've just sold them on ebay for £16! Sorry about that.

[QUOTE 1225723"]
Fancy selling the bull bars?
[/quote]

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
No cold setting required. SA S2C hub gear = 120mm nominal (116 in reality) as are Mine Plug's track ends. Popped the wheel in this lunchtime as it happens.

42T x 21T is just too much for the OEM chain though. Have had to order a new one. (Belt drive can wait for another life)

Howard

No cold setting required. SA S2C hub gear = 120mm nominal (116 in reality) as are Mine Plug's track ends. Popped the wheel in this lunchtime as it happens.

42T x 21T is just too much for the OEM chain though. Have had to order a new one. (Belt drive can wait for another life)

Win for simplicity - how does the kickback gear change work? Never ridden one of these and am intrigued.

zigzag

Veteran
I'd pass on the own brand Charge bull horns if I were you.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=th9S2Dpq954

this video shows how dangerous seatpost mounted bags can be. nothing wrong with bullhorns, but the weight in a bigger seat bag acts as a pendulum which unsettles the bike during out of saddle acceleration. similar thing happens if you try to steer quickly around an obstacle (and i'm pretty sure that's what happened to our mate Stuart on reigate hill).
i had seatpost mounted rack during lel and had few scary wobbles (luckily no spills). i've never even considered using that type of rack since.
bags, that fit closely to the seatpost are safer in this respect.

Origamist

Legendary Member

Excellent - let me know how it goes. If you like the hub (I understand it takes a while to bed in) I'll get a wheel built after Xmas. What rim/spoke configuration did you go for?

Origamist

Legendary Member
this video shows how dangerous seatpost mounted bags can be. nothing wrong with bullhorns, but the weight in a bigger seat bag acts as a pendulum which unsettles the bike during out of saddle acceleration. similar thing happens if you try to steer quickly around an obstacle (and i'm pretty sure that's what happened to our mate Stuart on reigate hill).
i had seatpost mounted rack during lel and had few scary wobbles (luckily no spills). i've never even considered using that type of rack since.
bags, that fit closely to the seatpost are safer in this respect.

Can't say I'm convinced!

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Excellent - let me know how it goes. If you like the hub (I understand it takes a while to bed in) I'll get a wheel built after Xmas. What rim/spoke configuration did you go for?

36H plain silver shell, as that is all that is currently available ex-stock in UK, 3 cross into a black Halo Aero Rage rim. SJS Cycles built it up for me.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Did you measure the left and right flange spacings, or are they symmetrical?

Don't get all technical on me. I'm a novice. I poured over pictures and specs and nothing leapt out at me. I asked the nice chaps at SJS if there were any 'gotcha' features and they said there were none. Ignorance is bliss.

When I got it I measured the drive side from the locknuts inboard on the original wheel to get the chainline right using two spacers and a dished SA cog. Other than that I squinted at it a lot and compared it with the other wheel back n forth.

I left its flanges unmolested but to my untrained eye it appears a thoroughly symmetrical beast.

PS bring the three speed fixed on Friday. Or at least tell me what riding one is like. That's the next potential project.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
If everyone promises not to make negative comments about the paintwork I will.

I am spokesperson for no person, least of all my peers and betters of the FNRttC. But I promise to only make positive comments in regard to said machine's hideous finish.

Doh!

Top Bottom