Charge Spoon Saddle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Ah, but one of the attractions of an alternate to a Brooks is that it isn't leather...I believe a certain RichP was rather unable to deal with the leather saddle bit, and he did have a point.

The leather version is £80. I shall be sticking with the cheapies, but I thought I'd throw that in for those who claim Brooks fetishism is all about the materials...

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Oh dear! Is there something you can take for that?

Fairy nuff, but mine most certainly isn't. I don't want to get too anatomical about it, and I have met women that swear by Brooks saddles, but if I had to sit on one of those or a Rolls for more than a couple of miles I would have given up cycling by now. And not only does The Spoon look slicker than a Brooks on anything except traditional tourers - it is now, I notice, available in leather!

Whilst I would not compare you to a horse; it is a case of horses for courses. Not every Brooks owner is an affected landan cyclista, neither is ever Spoon rider a latter day John Tomac. When I used to race xc mtb and do trailquests and polarises in the mid 90's I swore by WTB SST leather saddles. The spoon looks to be inspired by these. I still have several WTB SST's, both original production run and the more recent "it's back" version, in various variations, on hooks in the shed. In fact the cobweb covered rarely ridden SS MTB sports one.

But all that stitching on the leather spoon? Well it looks like a high probability of chaffage to me, chaffage leads to padded shorts and that way lies lycra. Lycra, on a man of my bibendum like proportions, is the work of the devil.

You should have seen the look on the faces of the roadies I scalped on Saturday. They breezed past me on a roundabout, staring in horror at the hub gear, the carradice saddle bag, the bull horns, the plus two's - yikes - they are Rapha one's bought secondhand from in here, the brooks saddle, the woollen top, and horror-of-horrors the flat cap worn back-to-front with cycling glasses. Not one of them acknowledged my existence as they swept by, clad from head to toe in lycra and neoprene - really it wasn't that cold.

Made sure they got a good look at my Brooks shaped arse on the next climb and I was sat outside a country pub drinking shandy by the time they rolled by. Got 'the nod' from 'em that time.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
So what are you saying Greg, your new hobby is scalping people while wearing fancy dress?

That's it in a nutshell. I ride around the lanes of Sussex dressed like a piratical New York Hipster, which is my normal mode of dress anyway, I blame the fashion student son who controls my wardrobe, tempting lycra louts into loutish overtakes and while they are busy laughing at me I grunt my way past. or die trying.....

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
"shandy"..... sheesh. The rapha keks I can stand... but shandy... have you no shame?!

I am a lightweight in a heavyweight chassis.

If I drink beer on a ride it goes straight to my head and gives me a banging headache, and causes me to crash in more ways than one. Besides the psuedospeed bike has no provision for drinks bottles so I get a bit thirsty over 30 miles and if I'm not going to taste the ale I'm not paying for the ale.

I relaxed, post ride, in the bath with a chilled bottle of Guinness Foreign Extra Stout by way of compensation.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
To be fair, the German name for shandy (Radler) means 'cyclist' (according to Wikipedia)

The Radler ("cyclist") is a Biermischgetränk with a long history in German-speaking regions. Consisting of a 50%/50% or 60%/40% mixture of various types of beer and German-style soda pop or lemonade, the invention of the Radler has been widely attributed to the Munich gastronomer Franz Xaver Kugler in 1922. However the recipe for the Radler had been mentioned as early as 1912.[sup][1][/sup] Nowadays the Radler is not just drunk only in Bavaria but across Germany,Austria and now even in Czech Republic. During the summer months, Radler is very popular there due to its reputation of being a thirst-quencher.[sup][2]
[/sup]

yello

'my bad' as I believe they now say.

I didn't realise that shandy was euro-hip. Now I understand the rapha kit...

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
'my bad' as I believe they now say.

I didn't realise that shandy was euro-hip. Now I understand the rapha kit...

to be honest, shoving lemonade in so-called "King & Barnes" so-called "Sussex" bitter is probably the best thing you can do with it prior to it ending up down the drain.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
To be fair shandy is a very refreshing and not too strong a drink after a long cycle ride. Only a fool would want to get pissed on a Saturday morning at the coast when you've got more riding and train journeys to contend with... :blush:

why, every time, why?...

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Bloody Charge Spoon, bloody weak minded idiot....of course the 'Spoon' is sold out everywhere and my order, as did my second order, resulted in an e-mail saying that it would be delivered sometime in March.

This had better be a good saddle, I've just ordered the Ti railed version for double what I had been planning on spending....that could have been beer money 3BM!!!

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Bloody Charge Spoon, bloody weak minded idiot....of course the 'Spoon' is sold out everywhere and my order, as did my second order, resulted in an e-mail saying that it would be delivered sometime in March.

This had better be a good saddle, I've just ordered the Ti railed version for double what I had been planning on spending....that could have been beer money 3BM!!!

Is this a really long-winded way of getting out of your round, MacB?

Top Bottom