Charging for 'Wild Camping'

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
I camped in a barn, high up the hillside, in the Brecon Beacons many years ago. I camped in there as it was raining heavily. In the morning I woke to find many animals had had the same idea.

The charge is essentially an idiot tax. Though have a slight fear that some paying idiots might start informally policing the thing, seeing it as a "cover charge" to keep the oiks/riff raff out.

What would the mass trespassers think of this state of affairs?

Such is the state of things these days.

I won't be paying it - I wouldn't dream of paying £20 on a campsite for me and my bike.

They can stuff it.

When I have a mo i will email them from that site telling them in no uncertain terms what I think of this, telling them that I see this as permission to camp in the parks, that is no longer a no no, reassuring them that I will pay them not a bean but that I will definitely leave no trace and will treat the land, but not them, with respect.
And suggesting they read some history about the british people and their access to the land.

Thanks for posting this pete.

Last edited:

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
There was a thread over on Twitter about this. Comments pretty much the same as above, but one tweet pointed out that it would be beneficial to charge ‘cars’ to enter NP areas. I am sick to the teeth with traffic jams in AONB and other beauty spots. Usual parking idiocy applies.

Africa has entrance into NPs sewn up nicely. Basically a max quota of vehicles and you pay for a permit to gain admittance.

Last edited:
I suppose that if they want to charge you, they have to find you first..
^_^^_^^_^^_^^_^

Last time I did an "official" wild camp in the UK was at Glenlivet estate, cost for camping, zero. Man at the office in Tomintoul gave me an address to buy eggs and vegetables from. There was no requirement to call and make yourself known, I just called by to ask if the snow was still deep in the upper Livet valley.

hoopdriver

Guru
I remember once asking a landowner in Queensland if I could camp on their land for the night - they (it was an elderly couple) looked at each other, shrugged and said, sure, if I wanted to but I'd be a lot more comfortable staying in the old caboose they'd fixed up for when the grandkids came to visit. It got even better. Twenty minutes later I was shaved and showered, sitting at the table with a glass of very nice cabernet sauvignon while some steaks were cooking on the grill. God, I love wild camping....

Top Bottom