Charity Ride Training

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KevinG

Hi all,

I am entering a 100km (63 mile) charity bike ride next year, late in the summer 2010.

I have been riding since September this year and have completed rides in the 30-35 mile range. At the end of those, in about 2.5 hours, I'm pretty much done, and I just wonder what would be the best way to increase my distances so that I can complete the charity ride?

I've got time to work on fitness levels, but I wonder if my training is best supported by another activity to boost stamina/fitness?

Ps. I am 39 years of age, if that makes any difference to the recommendations.

What would you guys suggest?

jeltz

Veteran
Just keep riding your strength and stamina will build up. Add on a few miles each week and you'll be ready to crack the metric ton in no time.

I'm 40 and started in May with an 8 week break due to injury (not caused while cycling) the most I've done is 75 miles the one thing that I found was having sufficient energy on board is important. I basically ran out of fuel the 1st time I went over 60 miles.

AndyRud

Hello mate,
I hope i can be of some help. I started riding about 3 years ago after i started putting weight on after packing in smoking.The first day i went out i managed a mere 3miles before needing a lung. I kept at it week after week just going out on a Sunday morning and plodding round.
This year i completed a couple of charity rides the biggest of which was 100miles. The way i built upto it was by doing a distance for two weeks and then adding 5 miles on. Do that distance for two weeks then add another 5 miles on. Before i knew it i was doing 50 -60 miles every Sunday morning and it was only taking me 3 - 4 hours to do it.
Make sure you have some energy gels with you in case you run out of energy and keep drinking regularly. You'll soon be upto your first 50 mile.

OP
OP
K

KevinG

Thanks guys.

I read from this then that its just a case of plodding away and gradually adding more.

What type of bikes do you both use?

Will bear in mind the energy gels.

Thanks again.

Garz

Squat Member
Once you build upto 60 miles the groundwork for completing 100 is there. So in your case 63 is do-able once you can get above 40 miles comfortably. If you want to breeze the distance however you need to be able to get over the 63 like say 80 without fatigue which just requires lots of riding under your belt.

It's not easy but once you get past fifty you wont look back!

Jonathan M

If you don't currently ride any hills, then start to add those to your current distance. This is as good as increasing distance as it will increase the time you are riding for, and then if you ride to increase distance you'll find the extra miles will happen slightly more easily.

As stated already, it's just about time in the saddle. This will become easier once winter passes and you can probably get out in the evenings as well as weekends.

jimboalee

Jonathan M said:
If you don't currently ride any hills, then start to add those to your current distance. This is as good as increasing distance as it will increase the time you are riding for, and then if you ride to increase distance you'll find the extra miles will happen slightly more easily.

As stated already, it's just about time in the saddle. This will become easier once winter passes and you can probably get out in the evenings as well as weekends.

Yup. Find some hills.
You should introduce your legs to 300 Watts output at low cadence.

Even on 113" gear, 300 Watts on the flat is over 70 cadence.
Find a 10% hill and ride up it at 6 mph at 40 cadence.

OP
OP
K

KevinG

jimboalee said:
Yup. Find some hills.

Thanks jimboalee.

Respectfully, I'm not even going to pretend I know what all of this this advice means. :ohmy:

Could you elaborate?

OP
OP
K

KevinG

jimboalee said:
Yup. Find some hills.

Thanks jimboalee.

Respectfully, I'm not even going to pretend I know what all of this this advice means. :ohmy:

Could you elaborate?

Garz

Squat Member
Read up of EFD (effective wheel diameter) on sheldon browns site. On his pages to the right are a couple of other sites that have pages dedicated to show your gear inches etc so that when jim adds his mumbo-jimbo tech you can digest easier!

jimboalee

Garz said:
Read up of EFD (effective wheel diameter) on sheldon browns site. On his pages to the right are a couple of other sites that have pages dedicated to show your gear inches etc so that when jim adds his mumbo-jimbo tech you can digest easier!

Not so much 'Mumbo Jumbo'.

This language is spoken in every bike shop in the UK, USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa and probably many others I can't remember right now.

There are Phrase books, but the most effective way to learn is to spend some time in those places.

OP
OP
K

KevinG

Thanks everyone.

on another note, is it realistic to expect to be able to complete 100kms on a Hybrid?

I believe it will be 'audax' style but I am not sure what that means?

jimboalee

It is possible to complete 100 km on a 39lb all steel Halfords Apollo County gents Sturmey 3 speed with full mudguards and a steel sprung 'cheapo' saddle.

With suitable gearing for it's weight, of course.

OP
OP
K

KevinG

jimboalee said:
It is possible to complete 100 km on a 39lb all steel Halfords Apollo County gents Sturmey 3 speed with full mudguards and a steel sprung 'cheapo' saddle.

With suitable gearing for it's weight, of course.

Thanks - are you saying that you have done 100 km on the Apollo?

Obviously I appreciate that I've got a much better chance of success on a lighter more road-oriented machine but that is certainly encouraging. :angry:

kimsey

Kevin G, 30 to 35 miles in just under two hours is impressive. I did 20 today and it took me just over 2 hours. I feel I would like to up my pace over the next 3 months in prep for Oxforshire charity ride!

Top Bottom