Scotland : Argyll, Isles & Loch Lomond Chat for CC Ecosse Islay Cycle Tour 2014

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tug benson

Survived the Tour O the borders 2013
I guess as usual for any day in Scotland packing suncream, thermals and waterproofs is the way to go?! :cold::sun::rain:
And if you're Louch you pack knee high socks

OP
OP
Fubar

Fubar

Guru
EDINBURGERS: Can I suggest we meet at Waverley around 09:30 on Friday? I know we were planning on the 10am train, but I was doing a wee bit of Scotrail surfing (to see if I could purchase a combined train-ferry ticket from Edinburgh) and it was only giving me a 09:45 Edin-Glas train, despite the timetable saying 10:00... :wacko:

Sooo, just in case of train time issues might meeting at 09:30 be prudent??

The other possible issue I thought of is if we manage to get the 16:40 ferry back to Ardrossan on Monday it arrives at 17:35 so we are into peak travelling time - so are people buying off-peak return tickets and winging it or should we be honest boys and girls???

OP
OP
Fubar

Fubar

Guru
Just out of interest I plotted the route from Brodick to Lochranza via the String: http://ridewithgps.com/routes/5637090

It's only 30 miles (and 1700ft of climbing...) - remember we can't get into the hostel until after 5pm, but the option still remains to ride North direct to Lochranza and find a pub to wait at until 5pm - or those that are willing could go for a longer ride, go over the String with a stop at the tearooms on the way, or head South and go the loooong way clockwise round the island.

I'm not saying which we should do, I'm just putting it out there... ;)

MikeW-71

Veteran
Hope you've got your scales out...
All packed! Subject to a little fine-tuning. I reckon I've added about 6kg to the bike in all, mostly at the back, so the front end could feel a touch light :biggrin: Gonna give it a loaded test ride shortly.

Not too bad. bag cost £35 from Evans, we'll see how it does long-term but it can hold a lot. Even got the flip-flops in there :laugh:

14718686377_7948cc9627_c.jpg

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
@Fubar I'm buying off peak, as I don't think we gonna make that ferry :whistle:
Off shortly to get it.
@MikeW-71 6 kg you say? I think I can get away with less, will post tomorrow about it, after the final tuning ^_^
@heather68 don't bring a lock, my Kriptosometing will be enough for our bikes - the girls, boys can carry their own :tongue:

OP
OP
Fubar

Fubar

Guru
All packed! Subject to a little fine-tuning. I reckon I've added about 6kg to the bike in all, mostly at the back, so the front end could feel a touch light :biggrin: Gonna give it a loaded test ride shortly.

Not too bad. bag cost £35 from Evans, we'll see how it does long-term but it can hold a lot. Even got the flip-flops in there :laugh:

14718686377_7948cc9627_c.jpg

That looks a really neat little bag! You should just start cycling now Mike ;)

OP
OP
Fubar

Fubar

Guru
@Fubar I'm buying off peak, as I don't think we gonna make that ferry :whistle:
Off shortly to get it.
@MikeW-71 6 kg you say? I think I can get away with less, will post tomorrow about it, after the final tuning ^_^
@heather68 don't bring a lock, my Kriptosometing will be enough for our bikes - the girls, boys can carry their own :tongue:

What little hair I have left will be white by the end of this trip...

When buying your ticket ask them if you can get the same at Edinburgh would you? Or is there some sort-of west-coast bias in Scotrail... :evil:

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Ok Mark, will ask. Be back around 4, as I'm going for a haircut too :girl:
@heather68 forgot: also don't bother with pump and tools, I will bring those, just bring a spare inner tube.

MikeW-71

Veteran
Midge repellent is coming out. Looking at the predicted winds, they'll have been blown all the way to Norway. Long sleeve base layer and tights going in, think they'll be welcome after day 2. Not sure whether to leave the flip-flops in.....

OP
OP
Fubar

Fubar

Guru
Can't see anything now on page 29 as it has been categorised as "offensive and tasteless"!!! @Pat "5mph" what have you said?!?! Posting from the bottom of Page 28, will check thread when I get home - god, I'm going to have to work!

Top Bottom